Politics

18 lurkers | 212 watchers
23 Aug
10:52am, 23 Aug 2024
22,059 posts
  •  
Chrisull
He's not on the cinema thread either which is a shame tho.

And I'm not happy with what Labour's doing, but given they've got 14 years of crap to clean up and they've just got their feet under the table, I think they should be given time.

But early signs like ruling out a EU work/live deal for under 30s seems just designed to annoy. Listed from a green party member, things that are not good, although the first they can do little about (other than nationalise which they probably should - dare I say water should have come before railways for nationalisation??? - Also I'm not averse the winter fuel allowance being means tested, it's just a case of where):

22-44% rise in Water Bills
Two Child Cap kept
10m pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance Axed
Big military spend increase
£3bn of NHS contracts offered to private sector
£5.5bn Austerity for Public Services
23 Aug
10:54am, 23 Aug 2024
194 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Why Im nervous.

Harris hasn't yet given an interview or took part in a debate. I get that the timing for such things is important, and I'm not saying she should have given one by now, but we have yet to see her tested by media away from an auto prompt. Remember "I've never even been to Europe.". Remember the first time she tried to get the democratic nomination? Her glow is currently buffed by the great and the good Obama, Clinton etc etc. she has yet to stand on her own.

Immigration. It's there in US and as big an issue for them as it is for us. The issue is also way more nuanced than "racist bigots!". Something this thread doesn't often get a grasp on. It's an area Harris was in charge of and there are cracks there that are going to get chiseled.
23 Aug
10:57am, 23 Aug 2024
22,060 posts
  •  
Chrisull
And also @larkim I never picked you on the the first few pages of the Searchers, you having difficulties with the author? Andy Beckett isn't **that** left wing, I didn't see anything in those pages I couldn't get on board with?

If you've read his history of the 70s, it's all excellent, calls out the trade unions when they're being idiots, talks about some of the lesser known moments that should inspire the left wing, like the Grunwick dispute led by Jayaben Desai - challenging the white male trade union orthodoxy - and although they ultimately lost, Desai felt it led to better terms down the line:

striking-women.org
23 Aug
10:59am, 23 Aug 2024
6,255 posts
  •  
paulcook
Chrisull wrote: And I'm not happy with what Labour's doing, but given they've got 14 years of crap to clean up and they've just got their feet under the table, I think they should be given time.

I'm very much biting my tongue for that reason. I don't expect miracles in 5 years, never mind 6 weeks. Some voices I see elsewhere are much less forgiving.

Still I like a different voice sometimes.
23 Aug
11:02am, 23 Aug 2024
22,061 posts
  •  
Chrisull
@Yakima Canutt - Yeah I'm not as gung ho as fozzy. Harris's lead is not as big as Biden's was in 2020, and that was too close for comfort. I think it will be close, whoever wins. Not enough signs that states that might make it less close (eg Florida, Texas) will peel away to Harris.

Feel like it's immigration vs abortion election. I wouldn't like to call which has the bigger influence over voters.
jda
23 Aug
11:04am, 23 Aug 2024
17,676 posts
  •  
jda
The EU free movement idea is precisely the sort of quick easy free win that the govt needs to grab with both hands while it struggles with the expensive and slow stuff. It would help to boost the economy while providing real opportunities to millions of people who never even had the chance to vote on brexit, let alone actually voting for it. It's pure spite and self-harm to rule it out.

But as we keep getting reminded, not at all like the tories, so that's ok.
23 Aug
11:07am, 23 Aug 2024
25,411 posts
  •  
larkim
Chrisull wrote:And also @larkim I never picked you on the the first few pages of the Searchers, you having difficulties with the author? Andy Beckett isn't **that** left wing, I didn't see anything in those pages I couldn't get on board with?

Maybe it's just my own ignorance, but it feels like he writes quite a lot of contextual sentences that are presented as factual or commonly accepted views which just didn't feel as universal to me.

I'm still ploughing through, though slowly. In the end, it's not going to be a character assassination of the individuals he is tracking through the book though!

I'd never come across the concept of the "1968ers" though before; perhaps that was more commonly accepted, but it felt like a ret-conning to me, or at best an exaggeration of how pivotal that period was. But he's got to find themes to draw through the book, so if its just a little creative licence to let the whole thing hang together, I'm fine with that.
23 Aug
11:07am, 23 Aug 2024
195 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
@Chrisull good point on abortion. A big problem area for republicans.
23 Aug
11:22am, 23 Aug 2024
50,753 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jda wrote:The EU free movement idea is precisely the sort of quick easy free win that the govt needs to grab with both hands while it struggles with the expensive and slow stuff. It would help to boost the economy while providing real opportunities to millions of people who never even had the chance to vote on brexit, let alone actually voting for it. It's pure spite and self-harm to rule it out. But as we keep getting reminded, not at all like the tories, so that's ok.

I agree with jda, these were early opportunities to do sensible things. I can't understand what is stopping them? Hoping it's not policy, just timidity or even just inertia. TBD.

Everyone is "giving them 5 years". The voting public don't get an input any earlier than that. I can still be p*ssed off now though! :-) G
23 Aug
11:38am, 23 Aug 2024
32,937 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
There is a consistent anti-Trump constituency in the US. He has never won the popular vote and I can't see that changing, short of an absolute meltdown by Harris.
The Dems have more money than Trump and their ground operation is enormous.
As Nikki Haley said: the first party to ditch their 80 year old candidate will win.
So I see lots of grounds for hope.

What happens if he loses God only knows. It could be a disaster or he could disintegrate like Sauron's Eye after the One Ring was destroyed. My money is on the former.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.