Politics

16 lurkers | 212 watchers
JR
Feb 2020
12:40pm, 19 Feb 2020
55 posts
  •  
JR
When my OH was unemployed for 12 months he was able to claim Job Seekers Allowance for the statutory period but after that due to my income & our savings he couldn't claim anything so although he was unemployed (& applied for 100+ jobs before finally getting one) he never showed in unemployment stats once he'd passed the job seekers allowance claim period. I suspect there are a great many others in this category which masks the real stats. Quite a lot of jobs he was turned down for as he was classed as over qualified when he asked for feedback! (underlying tone being he was likely to leave if something better came up). Ridiculous as he was desperate to work but lower skilled positions seemed unavailable as well as what he was actually looking for (do you detect a pet peev of mine!) :)
Feb 2020
12:50pm, 19 Feb 2020
9,555 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My biggest problem with the proposals (and the debate about immigration in general) is that low skilled = low paid in most conversations.

And in many many many cases, this simply just isn't true.

I'd argue that a nurse is a more skilled job than being an investment banker, to pluck one example out of the air.

Yet, the investment banker probably earns 3x (or more) what the nurse earns...
Feb 2020
12:53pm, 19 Feb 2020
2,907 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
You can argue about which is more desirable but I'm not hearing much acknowledgement that one man's pay rise is another man's price rise. Will we still want to send the foreign fruit and veg pickers home when food prices rise?
jda
Feb 2020
1:00pm, 19 Feb 2020
6,401 posts
  •  
jda
It's all a load of bollocks. Patel talks about employers needing to upskill the workforce but they can still employ immigrants for the higher skilled positions, it's the fruit-picker jobs that are reserved solely for the British!
J2R
Feb 2020
1:08pm, 19 Feb 2020
2,590 posts
  •  
J2R
Once again, it's not a thought-out policy, it's just pandering to the base again, getting the cheers from the Daily Mail et al. There is no damage they are not prepared to inflict on the country in order to appease their base.
Feb 2020
1:28pm, 19 Feb 2020
891 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Most of the folk your average Daily Mail reader would moan about probably aren't unemployed and looking for work, they're folk that can't work & are on benefits. Mental health problems, drink & drug addictions, other health issues, for one reason or another some folk just can't work.

My pal has emphysema, to the outside world he looks ok, but just isn't capable of the physical work that he used to do.
Feb 2020
1:52pm, 19 Feb 2020
23,053 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Joe Wetherspoons wanted Brexit no matter the cost, so I imagine he/she will be unconcerned by this announcement. Whether he/she will remain unconcerned when food prices start to rise and the social care sector collapses is another matter. I dare say they will bleat that "this isn't the Brexit we wanted". Despite the fact that it really is.
J2R
Feb 2020
2:00pm, 19 Feb 2020
2,591 posts
  •  
J2R
JB, it will be because the EU is punishing us.
Feb 2020
2:38pm, 19 Feb 2020
23,054 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I'm sure we will replace those fit young people from the EU with carers, students and the disabled, who will rush to spend 8 hours a day in Lincolnshire fields for 8 quid an hour.
Feb 2020
3:29pm, 19 Feb 2020
19,186 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I did a bit of fruit picking one summer, in the strawberry fields of the Kentish Weald. I did it mainly to get me out of the house during the summer as a student, rather than as a source of income. I'd go with a couple of mates, and we usually made just enough to have a few pints in the pub on the evening!

There was obviously some money in it, as there was a family who used to absolutely empty several rows in the course of the day, while I'd maybe clear one. I'm sure it pays properly if you're willing to put in the work.

So all we need is current jobseekers who are happy to put in the work.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.