Politics

11 lurkers | 212 watchers
Jan 2020
1:14pm, 24 Jan 2020
27,233 posts
  •  
macca 53
Only time will tell whether they were right or wrong, and by how much to how many, but whatever the outcome the government will claim they only did the best they could given the obstacles they had to overcome.

You could probably write Johnson’s launch policy speech for 2024 now....
jda
Jan 2020
1:15pm, 24 Jan 2020
6,198 posts
  •  
jda
"we would be better out."

I didn't see "better" anywhere on the ballot. They decided they wanted out, sure.
jda
Jan 2020
1:15pm, 24 Jan 2020
6,199 posts
  •  
jda
Only time will tell if cutting off your foot makes you a better runner macca.
Jan 2020
1:24pm, 24 Jan 2020
27,234 posts
  •  
macca 53
Jda, I can’t see anything good coming of it either, but I suppose we can’t absolutely exclude the possibility that “ something” good will come of it

One thing is certain though, if we all have only one foot I’ll be as good a runner (relatively) as I am now 😀
Jan 2020
1:33pm, 24 Jan 2020
19,083 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No, we'll be fine. There is no other land anywhere available for multinational financial corporations to build offices on.

If we were to be able to use our unique geography to be able to produce something, though (plentiful coal and metal to produce the machinery on which we could weave cotton picked on our sovereign land by cheap and plentiful labour from other parts of our sovereign land, woven to perfection thanks to our unique climatic conditions, for instance; or, you know, pulling fish out of the water and needing to sell them to the people that actually eat the fish caught in British waters) then I could certainly understand the requirement to have frictionless trade in goods.

As we don't produce anything other than "lovely gooey cake", and land upon which to build financial HQs, then we'll definitely be OK.
Jan 2020
1:38pm, 24 Jan 2020
4,171 posts
  •  
Raemond
Would this be that special cake that is suitable for simultaneous having and eating?
Jan 2020
2:33pm, 24 Jan 2020
27,237 posts
  •  
macca 53
I loved the Dunt article btw, Rae. My (pre-retirement) area of expertise is/was the chemical industry, which for the most part will be f*cked unless we align and sign up to ECHA. My former (Japanese) employer bought us because we had manufacturing locations in all major chemical markets and all regions. They have been steadily “globalising” their offers. The UK business will actually probably lose out to imports from the mother ship now that Japan and the EU have a trade deal (imports into the EU from third countries will be faced with a duty of 6.5%, Tariff Code 39.06). I spent a number of years working in sector trade bodies to advise on implementation of REACH so I know how bloody difficult it will be to get into the EU market - it was designed to be so to protect the EU chemical industry against imports (originally against China, India and Brazil)!
Jan 2020
2:44pm, 24 Jan 2020
23,022 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I suspect brexiteers will still be saying "it'll be all right in the end" when the flames on deck are licking around their feet.

It's alright saying "forecasts can be wrong" but it would be more comforting if we could see exactly what Brexit is going to give us rather than what it is taking away. We are certainly losing the right to live, travel, retire and work within the EU. We will almost certainly see greater difficulties in trading with our closest neighbours and NI and Scotland have been hung out to dry. What exactly are we gaining? Where is the upside in a nation of 65M getting superduper deals in negotiations with partners who are much larger and have way more economic muscle?

Funny how some of the more mentally-challenged Brexiteers are now wailing that we are going to become outsider rule-takers with no say in the trading rules of our largest market. Who saw that one coming, eh?

Even that twunt Rees-Mogg says it could be 50 years before the "benefits" of Brexit fully emerge. If the benefits exist, where are the impact assessments which delineate what they are? Silence.

Johnson and his coterie of dimwits and incompetents haven't got a clue what they are doing, and that is going to become increasingly obvious over the next couple of years - as if it wasn't obvious before. They are busking it and they are about to get rolled over big time. But hey, post-31st their mates in the press can be relied upon to explain their incompetence by framing it as all the fault of Remainers, the liberal elite, and, most of all, the dictators of the EU. It's all their fault, not the fault of the lamebrains who took us into this mess without the first idea of a sketch of a plan.
Jan 2020
2:50pm, 24 Jan 2020
263 posts
  •  
Stander
Jan 2020
3:59pm, 24 Jan 2020
8,362 posts
  •  
simbil
Nobody can forecast that adding friction and possibly other impediments to trade with our closest and largest trading partner will be bad?
Let’s not confuse that with nobody can predict all of the events that will combine to determine our overall economic well being.
In itself, Brexit is economically bad, let’s pray something else comes along to mitigate it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.