Politics

2 lurkers | 212 watchers
Jan 2020
7:25pm, 13 Jan 2020
15,748 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Labour, Tories and Lib Dem are non entities in Scotland now. There is no way the SNP disband if Scotland gain independence. Happy if you can direct me to where they have said they will
Jan 2020
8:28pm, 13 Jan 2020
15,750 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
larkim...there are not many right of centre voters in scotland these days
Jan 2020
8:37pm, 13 Jan 2020
10,273 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Baz I think there are quite a few in my constituency (West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine). I'm not one of them though!

I'm waiting for the snp to say we might not keep the monarchy in an independent Scotland. That could sway me. That would be truly progressive.
Jan 2020
8:43pm, 13 Jan 2020
15,752 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yes, NE scotland and the borders are probably the exceptions to that Mrs S.

I also suspect my constituency (Edinburgh West) is right leaning but have since the Thatcher days mostly returned a Lib Dem instead (while holding their noses).

In fact just checked and you have to go back to 1929 for a labour MP.It was then unionist/conservative until 1997 with Lord James Douglas-Hamilton in place from 74 to 97. Its then been liberal apart from a brief spell with an SNP MP who was kicked out following fraud allegations
J2R
Jan 2020
10:02pm, 13 Jan 2020
2,519 posts
  •  
J2R
I know it's none of my business as an Englishman (well, not directly anyway), but on a personal note I'd be really, really sorry to see Scotland leave. I regard it as a civilising influence on the rest of the UK (well, England specifically), as well as being my overall favourite part of the UK. I can understand why so many Scots want independence, though, particularly now as a result of Brexit.
Jan 2020
11:11pm, 13 Jan 2020
27,203 posts
  •  
macca 53
What J2R said ^^
Jan 2020
11:15pm, 13 Jan 2020
9,425 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
If anyone's not already seen this - the breakdown of nominations for Lab leader by MP/MEP: twitter.com

Long-Bailey has the backing of pretty much everyone you'd expect from the left/Corbyn wing of the party.

Lisa Nandy has picked up more of the Kinnock-esque Brexit "appeasment" MPs (which would be expected I guess)

Starmer has picked up many of the bigger names outside of the Corbyn wing, although a few have gone to Thornbury.

Interesting to see what happens with the next round of nominations.
Jan 2020
5:31am, 14 Jan 2020
665 posts
  •  
Dave W
I love Scotland, and would hate to see it leave the Union. I was quite annoyed when the first referendum came round, because I felt that the Nats were betraying years of tradition. But since then, having actually given it a bit more thought, I totally understand why they want to leave. But self determination is the key thing. If the Scots want to go, then they should go. Then they would be free to do their own thing. I think it would be difficult for them initially, because I couldn't see the Barnet formula continuing afterwards, but if Trump bombs the shit out of Iran, then I can see the price of oil on the up again, which would help the Scottish economy.
But on a real downside for some English folk, the separation of Scotland would, as things stand with FPTP voting, condemn us to a Conservative Govt forever. Okay if you're rich, but a real b'stard if you aren't.

So for purely selfish reasons I don't want the Scots to jump ship. They should stick around and get shafted like the rest of us :-)
Jan 2020
8:48am, 14 Jan 2020
19,044 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Could someone please explain how the UK can't subsidise its most important regional airline because it is against EU rules, while at the same time not being subject to EU rules by the time the legislation can be made?

Or have they forgotten now that they can't justify unpopular decisions in the same way they could in the past.

To be honest, I'm surprised that the financial difficulties at flyBe aren't being blamed on undemocratic remoaners and Jeremy Corbyn. Although maybe it is the fault of woke lefties and tree-huggers.
Jan 2020
9:14am, 14 Jan 2020
188 posts
  •  
Stander
Or it could just be yet another cheap flight, low margin airline that has fallen foul of raising fuel and wage costs?

When you run an thin margins, this happens.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.