Politics

1 lurker | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
9:51am, 25 Oct 2019
12,417 posts
  •  
richmac
Ah but letting it happen and giving the Tories free reign for a couple of years will cause a lot pain and suffering for a lot of people. Plus they would borrow as much money as needed or sell as much as they need to give the impression it's rosey to win a further election by which time we are fucked.
Oct 2019
9:54am, 25 Oct 2019
9,259 posts
  •  
larkim
The problem with leaving Boris in charge is that a) we won't escape the Brexit saga continuing in some form and b) he's not the sort of character to recognise that he needs to change his governing style into a consensual one.

So the outcomes for the country could be attrocious, and the blame for the continued lack of government would actually sit with Corbyn as he and the Labour Party hold the cards to unlock a functioning government. If this was an overseas country I'd possibly be more interested in just watching it play out. But this is the economy in which I hope to get paid, the education system I want my kids to benefit from, the future economy they need to support themselves and their families etc. In the long run, a left wing government is what I want. But I don't want Labour to be enforcing a stagnant country, pushing it down the pan when they could be trying to find a way forward.

We need to take some steps forward at some point.
J2R
Oct 2019
9:57am, 25 Oct 2019
2,362 posts
  •  
J2R
I just don't see how there can be another election now, democratically. People voted in 2017 for a government to come in and govern for 5 years, as stipulated within the Fixed Terms Parliament Act. They knew what they were voting for! To have another election now would surely be thwarting The Will Of The People!
Oct 2019
10:01am, 25 Oct 2019
9,261 posts
  •  
larkim
LOL J2R. Not entirely sure if you are being serious there...

If you are, then the answer is that people voted in 2017 for a 5 year govt *subject to* the FTPA allowing for an early election if parliament so decided.

If you're not serious, then I need to recalibrate my irony meter.
Oct 2019
10:09am, 25 Oct 2019
16,178 posts
  •  
Stander
Sometimes, it really is just too easy.....

I knew that unemployment hand grenade would explode.

:)
Oct 2019
10:10am, 25 Oct 2019
3,000 posts
  •  
Bob!
The problem Labour has with agreeing to an election once we have the extension is that The Prime Minister decides the date of the election.

He has said he wants 12th December, he could be lying, and once he has agreement decide for the election to be 6th February, and we're out.
Oct 2019
10:10am, 25 Oct 2019
16,179 posts
  •  
Stander
The serious answer to you J2R is of course that people voted for a government to govern. That just isn't possible currently, hence the need for a new GE.
Oct 2019
10:18am, 25 Oct 2019
3,001 posts
  •  
Bob!
Of course it's possible.

Just need some consensus among the parties which isn't possible whilst the PM behaves like a spoilt brat.
Oct 2019
10:35am, 25 Oct 2019
293 posts
  •  
Non-runner
When there is an election, perhaps no MP currently sitting should be allowed to stand again😂, let’s have some fresh blood.
J2R
Oct 2019
10:47am, 25 Oct 2019
2,363 posts
  •  
J2R
Stander: "The serious answer to you J2R is of course that people voted for a government to govern. That just isn't possible currently, hence the need for a new GE."

Hmm, that's exactly the argument Remainers put for a second referendum, if you think about it...

No, of course I wasn't being serious above. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the Leaver 'democracy' rants.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.