Politics

3 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
3:12pm, 25 Oct 2019
15,380 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah I don't have sympathy either BUT when the alternative may well be a Johnson majority, then it is still a cause for worry as they are the only people who can actually deny them that majority.

It's as a friend said to me a couple of nights ago, I don't know what to think about Labour, I'll just vote against anyone who isn't the Tories, but will that actually stop them?

My position is vote tactically, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP or Green and good chance you will get them as part of a coalition. Vote for the most sensible party on offer (whoever it is) and you may well get Johnson.
jda
Oct 2019
3:13pm, 25 Oct 2019
5,687 posts
  •  
jda
Don't understand the point you are making Chris, they are playing games with the wait and see approach. How long are they waiting for, and what are they hoping to see? If there is no election agreed by next Thursday, what do you expect to happen?
Oct 2019
3:14pm, 25 Oct 2019
15,381 posts
  •  
Chrisull
My point is they have messed around so much , they now have a genuine dilemma as to what to do. They've cried wolf, and finally the wolf is coming. But the wolf will have us all for dinner, not just Labour.
jda
Oct 2019
3:22pm, 25 Oct 2019
5,688 posts
  •  
jda
"they" = ?
Oct 2019
3:24pm, 25 Oct 2019
15,382 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I think an election should be agreed, but remember

a) the government cannot force a vote

b) they cannot legislate the date - the papers that are submitted don't specify a date

*c) the Fixed Terms Parliament Act had at the heart of it, (it was a Lib Dem bill), the kernel of a good idea. Stop the govt of the day choosing a date that was beneficial to itself, and make it a more level playing field.

My point is it, it's not just wait and see, there are genuine perils. Corbyn I think would call one, sounds like his own PLP won't let him, fearing a) a loss and b) selection of yet more Corbynite mps at the election (this has already happened in seats where 5 Labour mps are standing down). This is as much a proxy battle for what happens after Corbyn...
Oct 2019
3:26pm, 25 Oct 2019
15,383 posts
  •  
Chrisull
and my last point d) there are advantages for letting Johnson break his promises... that may benefit all of us.
Oct 2019
3:28pm, 25 Oct 2019
32,862 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Dangerous game. Factionalism in the Labour party and lack of coalition appetite in opposition is hurting us all.
Oct 2019
3:28pm, 25 Oct 2019
9,271 posts
  •  
larkim
It is very much chicken and egg with the EU at the moment. Labour and Boris want to see what the EU offer, the EU only want to offer once they know what the political situation is!
Oct 2019
3:42pm, 25 Oct 2019
32,863 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't think that the EU are tagging the extension period overtly based on what UK are doing. They don't want to be seen as meddling (quite rightly). They want to pick a period that offers maximum chance of resolution and minimum chance of disruption to all EU states. They need to balance short (won't resolve anything) with long (drags on unnecessarily). Obv! :-) G
jda
Oct 2019
4:15pm, 25 Oct 2019
5,689 posts
  •  
jda
Well the ball is firmly in the EU's court.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.