Polarized training

91 watchers
Sep 2023
2:27pm, 7 Sep 2023
3,355 posts
  •  
tipsku
andyleslie, I'm struggling with the heat in summer, too. In winter, I can easily run under 10 m/m for my easy HR of 135-140 but now in summer, that can be a minute slower, a 10:30 instead of 9:30.

At the moment, I live in flat Leipzig so I don't really have a problem with hills but when I lived in Wales, I walked some of the steepest hills when I wanted to keep HR down. I only powered up the hills when it was a tempo or hill session. I found that sticking to a lower HR for 80+% of my training helped me to increase mileage over the years so that I can run 50+ comfortably and not get injured. In summer, my mileage drops because my runs are slower, so I wouldn't get 6.5 miles in an hour but 5.5 miles. I also don't run more than 90 minutes in the heat so I miss my 2h long runs.
Sep 2023
2:29pm, 7 Sep 2023
3,356 posts
  •  
tipsku
sorry andyleslie, I didn't mean to tag you. I wanted to tag Lesley C
Sep 2023
4:40pm, 7 Sep 2023
2,692 posts
  •  
Canute
I agree with J2R that there is danger of over-complicating issues. As both J2R and Auburnette imply, one of the main goals of Polarised training is minimising grey zone training because it places stress of the body with no extra gain in aerobic fitness.

However, there is little reason to anticipate that small amount of grey zone training will actually damage the body, so I do not think it is necessary to be obsessional about avoiding transient elevation of HR into zone 4.

Nonetheless, if you are interested in the complexities of the underlying theory, cortisol elevation is the key issue. A lot of grey zone training promotes chronic elevation of cortisol which damages body tissues. Low intensity training also elevates cortical but to lesser extent that the same amount of grey zone training. Nonetheless, adequate recovery (including sleep) is necessary to dissipate the cortisol.

High intensity training produces even greater elevation of cortisol. Elevated cortisol mobilizes glucose from glycogen and facilitates the intense training. Provided the amount of high intensity training is limited, it is unlikely to produce damaging chronic elevation of cortisol.
J2R
Sep 2023
5:40pm, 7 Sep 2023
4,734 posts
  •  
J2R
Agreed, Canute. I didn't express myself well - I meant routinely straying into the grey zone, rather than occasional forays. Avoiding chronically elevated cortisol is indeed the key. It's all about maximising recovery. At the heart of polarised training, I would say, is the focus on ensuring optimal recovery from harder sessions, as it's during the recovery that your body builds fitness.
Sep 2023
6:47pm, 7 Sep 2023
3,388 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. My runs have all been in the grey (threshold) zone certainly for the majority of the year. Even ones that I think were easy were in the same zone. Will keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes over the next few months.

My legs were definitely tired yesterday after Tuesday nights intervals. They felt fine today, Wednesday day is a rest day. I try and get as much sleep as I can (I know how important it is) but it can be difficult with a 4 year old some nights.

I did a couple of Half's earlier in the year, neither were fantastic and I struggled particularly in the second one (it was very hilly and hot). I could have done more longer runs so planning to do this. I am also looking to increase my weekly mileage and long runs, next year I am planning some longer events.
Sep 2023
7:06pm, 7 Sep 2023
2,955 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Give it an honest try Lesley C it has worked wonders for me.
It can feel strange to run so slow in the beginning, and it can give you a few niggles cus you’re not use to it, but you get use to it and the pace goes up and it feels better after a while.
Good luck!
J2R
Sep 2023
10:57am, 8 Sep 2023
4,736 posts
  •  
J2R
Lesley C, getting your head round polarized training can be difficult at first, because it seems counter-intuitive - how can you learn to run a race at a pace of xx mins/mile without doing a lot of running in training at that pace? But the body doesn't work like that, fortunately. By doing lots of easy paced running, you push everything up above that - if you do lots of training at 9 mins/mile, for example, then you make 8 mins/mile a lot easier, you will be doing it at a lower heart rate with less effort. You gain aerobic fitness by building mitochondria in your cells, and a high volume of easy running is the best way of doing this.
J2R
Sep 2023
7:16pm, 26 Sep 2023
4,751 posts
  •  
J2R
No great results to report yet, but I just thought I'd chime in to say that I've noticed my training is about the most polarised it's ever been at the moment. I've realised that I'm hardly doing any running at all between 7 mins/mile and 9 mins/mile (I used to do a lot at around 8 mins/mile). I'm doing lots of very easy volume, at 9-10 mins/mile, and a small amount of speedier stuff, ranging from 200m reps at 5:15-5:30 mins/mile pace to 1km reps at 6:10-6:40 mins/mile (apologies for the mix of units), with parkruns most weekends at 6:00-7:00 mins/mile.
Dec 2023
5:19pm, 14 Dec 2023
41,712 posts
  •  
Nellers
A question for the wise heads in here: Are the effects of Polarized training specific to that activity? Is it about central or peripheral adaptations I guess?

I'm back running but at a much lower volume than before my achilles injury, and I don't think that's going to change. I'm also doing a fair bit of indoor rowing and a little bit of cycling. Pretty much all the cycling and a fair part of the rowing would be in the low intensity zones. 2 of the 3 weekly running sessions are low intensity too.

Is there crossover from that low intensity stuff between those different activities or does it only have an impact in the actual sport/activity that you're doing? I think that would be down to whether the adaptations are in the working muscles that I'm using when I row, for example, and therefore non-transferable? Or is it about central cardiovascular responses which will be helpful in any activity?

Hope that made some sort of sense. Thanks folks.
J2R
Dec 2023
5:35pm, 14 Dec 2023
4,891 posts
  •  
J2R
I would definitely say that lots of low intensity cycling will help your running. You need to do a reasonably amount of running-specific work to get the mechanics right, but I could easily imagine replacing a couple of my running days (I typically run 6 days a week) with cycling days without losing significant running performance. (Not going to happen while it's dark, cold and perpetually rainy, though :) ).

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com