Over 50's club

3 lurkers | 321 watchers
16 Feb
1:08pm, 16 Feb 2024
247 posts
  •  
Boffin
Hello 👋

Lurked on and off for some time - willing not to qualify 🙄 - born '69 and beginning to fall apart..

Hanneke's comment caught my attention; no TV, unusual although I can relate 🙂 Makes such reminiscent discussions interesting, I might have awareness of a programme, although would have rarely seen it for myself.

Grew up off grid; no mains electricity, well water and limited indoor plumbing. Lighting by candle, oil lamp or plumbed gas lighting in ground floor main rooms.

Wasn't complete absence of TV as occasional 12v black and white telly to be had...
16 Feb
1:11pm, 16 Feb 2024
120,107 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My parents got a b/w tv at some point. It dwelled in a cupboard in my father's study and it came out for important things only. Think moon landing, for which it was acquired, and the vietnam war etc
16 Feb
1:26pm, 16 Feb 2024
248 posts
  •  
Boffin
Interesting your TV lived in a cupboard, brought out for special events... wonder what criteria qualified the telly's appearance 🤔
16 Feb
1:46pm, 16 Feb 2024
3,296 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Did anyone else have one of those coin meter TVs? We found that they took the petrol station football coins and received a bit of a thrashing when this was discovered when the coin box was emptied. I expect the football coins are now worth much more than the denomination they substituted.
16 Feb
1:57pm, 16 Feb 2024
120,110 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Boffin, see above: moon landing, vietnam war... Certainly not childrens's programmes!
The b/w machine gave up at some point, by which time an orange portable tv was acquired.
That one came out on rainy Saturday afternoons. My sister and I were given a small bowl of pretzels each and we watched Oebele, Tita Tovenaar and the Clangers before supper.
I suspect my parents would watch a film after supper.

We had limited tv until I was about 17 and they were laying cable in our street. My parents decided to have it, for the saleability of the house. So there was a coil of cable hidden behind the curtains in the sitting room. About a year later, a bigger colour tv was aquired. It sat on wheels and was wheeled in when my parents wanted to watch something. The cable rolled out and plugged in. Before that, the tv worked on an antenna sat on top of the tv, which made for sketchy reception.
I moved out a couple of years later and didn't have a tv until I moved in with my now ex husband in my early 30s. He had one!
10 years later we split up and since then, I have had no tv.
16 Feb
2:07pm, 16 Feb 2024
249 posts
  •  
Boffin
Never heard of a coin meter tv ! Who controlled / emptied the coin box?
16 Feb
2:10pm, 16 Feb 2024
26,362 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I recall that you had to fiddle about with the vertical and horizontal hold and contrast buttons to get a clear and stable picture. Then we found a dunt on the top was quite often thee most effective solution.

One time we were going on holiday and my aunt/uncle and cousins were staying in our house for a few days and arrived before we left. My dad was showing my uncle how to work things and on the TV said its best to switch it on half an hour before you want to watch something. My uncle looking at my three hyperactive cousins said that means I need to switch it on half an hour before I am in the house :-O
16 Feb
2:17pm, 16 Feb 2024
74,055 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Never heard of a coin meter tv ! Who controlled / emptied the coin box?

We had the TV rented from Radio Rentals and they emptied it. Took the HP money and if anything left you got the rebate. If not enough you made up the difference. It was the only way for a lot of people.
16 Feb
2:26pm, 16 Feb 2024
250 posts
  •  
Boffin
My word... Radio Rentals.... not heard of them for a long time. This thread has everything 😄

I expect the expense was the main reason my parents did not have TV - unless you couldn't rent 12v TVs ?
16 Feb
2:30pm, 16 Feb 2024
251 posts
  •  
Boffin
My memory is not the best... however I do recall main films being split by the News at Ten... watching telly powered by a 12v car battery and taking the battery off, putting it on a van and running the engine for the half hour during the news to put enough charge back in the battery to finish the film 🤣

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.