•  
Runningfoxx
Inedible?
Jun 2019
11:01am, 7 Jun 2019
41,898 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
How interesting! I was never taught in medical school or postgraduate dermatology training that basal cell carcinomas had "extensive root systems".

(They haven't, though they can make quite a mess if left untreated.)
Jun 2019
11:02am, 7 Jun 2019
5,134 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I wondered about that too - and unlike you, I have no medical training :-)
Jun 2019
12:17pm, 7 Jun 2019
69 posts
  •  
Runningfoxx
'BCCs grow at the site at which they have arisen. They usually grow slowly over several months or years. They do not go away. BCCs have roots around and below the visible lesion The roots can only be seen with a microscope. The lesion enlarges as the roots expand, similar to a weed. If the roots are not treated, then the BCC will come back. This is an important concept to understand.'

The above quote is almost exactly what the doctor said before he removed mine. Although it looked quite small on the surface he warned of the extensive root system below which would take some removing. And it did!
Jun 2019
12:37pm, 7 Jun 2019
14,749 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My Dad had a couple of BCCs removed from his back that had been left to fester for a long time. I am note sure if he ignored them or wasn't aware of them.

The process to remove was quite complex and needed to be done in two operations.

How would one identify a BCC ? My wife had one removed a few years back and I recall being asked about it but saying it didn't look significant and cant really recall what it looked like.
Jun 2019
12:47pm, 7 Jun 2019
4,366 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I’ve been for my annual dermatology clinic appointment this morning to be examined for anything nasty. The medication I take makes me more susceptible to skin cancers so I tend to wear broad brimmed hats and when it’s sunny plenty of factor fifty, paying special attention to protuberances such as nose and ears.
Nothing was discovered I was pleased to be told.
Jun 2019
1:22pm, 7 Jun 2019
41,899 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
While it's necessary to ensure a margin of clearance around and below a BCC because they're locally destructive, they do not have anything that I'd use the term "root system" to describe.

Bazoaze, a skin nodule that's new and enlarging, or a scabby spot that won't heal, could be a BCC and should be shown to your doctor. Crusty areas on exposed skin (actinic keratoses) are also worth consulting about, as they can be precancerous (the statistical risk is small but present) and can be treated before that stage with creams or cryotherapy.
Jun 2019
1:25pm, 7 Jun 2019
37,279 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I once had a something I recall was termed a Seb-K which was frozen off. I think they are benign and not worry about, are they?
Jun 2019
1:29pm, 7 Jun 2019
41,900 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Yes, seborrhoeic keratoses are benign and don't become malignant, though they can look quite impressive.
Jun 2019
1:31pm, 7 Jun 2019
26,890 posts
  •  
macca 53
I have some keratoses that I use solaraze on (couldn’t I *just* use Voltarol?), but Mrs macca has a BCC that is going to be removed in a couple of weeks. It’s in that fold between the cheek and the lip so it’s fairly obvious and she is bit concerned about the scarring that will result.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.