•  
LindsD
Absolutely to that
8 Aug
3:06pm, 8 Aug 2024
5,955 posts
  •  
FreshStart
If I could rewind the clock 35 years, I'd love to have a go at the modern pentathlon :-)

Can we include Ash Barty in people who have switched sports theguardian.com
8 Aug
3:09pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,551 posts
  •  
Nellers
Tia-Clair Toomey-Orr was CrossFit World Champion 7 times (and might win it again this coming weekend.

She's also represented Australia at a Winter Olympics in the Bobsleigh and the Summer Olympics in weightlifting (and won a Commonwealth Games gold medal for weightlifting).
8 Aug
3:10pm, 8 Aug 2024
4,368 posts
  •  
Cheg
Nellers wrote:Tia-Clair Toomey-Orr
A sport for each of her names.
8 Aug
3:17pm, 8 Aug 2024
50,652 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Great name! ;-) :-) G
8 Aug
3:20pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,552 posts
  •  
Nellers
She was just Tia-Clair Toomey until she got married to Shane Orr and went double-barrelled.

In the CrossFit world she’s just called Tia and everyone knows who you mean.

Either that or “champ”.
8 Aug
3:23pm, 8 Aug 2024
4,369 posts
  •  
Cheg
I did watch a netflix series on crossfit a few years ago. That can definitely have an Olympics spot, those guys and girls are ridiculous.
8 Aug
3:39pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,553 posts
  •  
Nellers
In a masterstroke of maximising the publicity that a new sport needs to grow, @Cheg , the Crossfit Games 2024 started today, running against the Olympics, and ends on Sunday to clash with the closing ceremony. Genius!

(Oh, and Tia won the first event, a 3.5mile run and 800m lake swim, finishing ahead of all but 2 of the men!)
8 Aug
3:40pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,554 posts
  •  
Nellers
it won't even be considered as an Olympic event because CrossFit is a trademark owned by a for-profit company. However, "Functional Fitness", which is an unbranded version of the same thing basically, might be in with a chance and is a growing thing in the Scandi-region. Sweden have government funding for their Functional Fitness team.
8 Aug
4:29pm, 8 Aug 2024
15,207 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Gold in the kite sailing! :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).