Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
8 Aug
1:41pm, 8 Aug 2024
19,874 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Rhythmic gymnastics looks like it should be great to watch. Very high level of skill and athleticism
8 Aug
2:13pm, 8 Aug 2024
9,283 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Hamish Bond was a (NZ) was a gold medalist rower who switched to cycling for a bit. Got a bronze at the Commonwealth Games in the TT. Went back to rowing after that.

Rowers use cycling for cross training so not necessarily as big a shift as it sounds. Also both sports heavily reliant on leg and lung power.
8 Aug
2:19pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,548 posts
  •  
Nellers
I didn't know Bond dabbled in competitive cycling, @Pothunter . I guess after his achievements in the boat with Eric Murray everything else is kinda going to be overshadowed.
8 Aug
2:21pm, 8 Aug 2024
10,584 posts
  •  
GordonG
in relation to the "what event could you train for" question, this comes up at each olympics and the most frequent answer tends to be the shooting events. That's because you "only" (yes, I know) need to be technically brilliant at them and there's less of an emphasis on physical fitness.
8 Aug
2:36pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,549 posts
  •  
Nellers
I'm pretty sure I could cope with the physical demands of shooting* but I don't think that would be enough for me to actually be able to compete.

*given 4 years to prepare
jda
8 Aug
2:49pm, 8 Aug 2024
17,609 posts
  •  
jda
One thing that I suspect a lot of people could do quite competently is cox an eight.

Though the stature and starvation required at the highest level would only suit a few.

There is supposed to be a famous case of a coxed pair where they just told the cox to sit there and shut up and one of the oarsmen did the steering themselves. I'm not entirely sure if this story is mythical or true so I won't suggest names, but I'm sure it must have happened somewhere some time.
8 Aug
2:50pm, 8 Aug 2024
10,585 posts
  •  
GordonG
Nellers wrote:I'm pretty sure I could cope with the physical demands of shooting* but I don't think that would be enough for me to actually be able to compete. *given 4 years to prepare

on the other hand, it might turn out that you're a natural and you are what the shooting world has been waiting for...
8 Aug
2:53pm, 8 Aug 2024
56,714 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Guess that goes the same for all types of shooting and archery too

Never tried either
8 Aug
2:56pm, 8 Aug 2024
43,550 posts
  •  
Nellers
@jda it may not look likening but in an 8+ the cox has a lot to do and there is a high level of skill and skill experience at play. It’s like a lot of things when done really well in that it can look easy but it’s very obvious when you’re doing it wrong!
8 Aug
3:00pm, 8 Aug 2024
29 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
There have been a few sprinters who transitioned to bobsled.

As for me, if someone could lend me an international standard eventing horse, I might make it around. I've not been on a horse in many years but I was a competent rider in my teens. Problem is I'm 57 now so I'm pretty much aged out of anything other than riding or shooting.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).