•  
Northern Exile
If you heard that in any other context it would be cause for alarm 🙂
8 Aug
8:42am, 8 Aug 2024
9,281 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I thought the same about the kit. It looks smart in the posed pics, but in the races it just blends in. And the tracksuits are hideous (as are most other countries’ to be fair)!

I wonder if MHS knew Hall was coming up on the outside and literally couldn’t do anything about it, or if he thought he had it in the bag. First thoughts were that he was dead on his feet but a few strides earlier I thought it looked like he mentally reached the line before he physically got there.

Team pursuit boys pushed Aus a lot harder than I thought they would. Poor Hayter obviously ran out of steam a lap early. It would have been down to thousandths of seconds if he’d been able to keep going I think.
8 Aug
8:52am, 8 Aug 2024
4,361 posts
  •  
Cheg
He saw him on the big screen coming, he just had nothing more to give.

Here is my latest blog on Team GB's near misses.

simonssportingblog.wordpress.com
8 Aug
8:59am, 8 Aug 2024
50,644 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thought he looked like he eased uo, but I think he was just tying up. He ran a very fast lead out. All credit to him going out hard. And it was a PB and new Euro record, don't think you can ask more of yourself than that.

I think Josh will be more disappointed as I think had he spotted Hockers coming up the inside he might have been able to find something. But somehow beating Ingerbretsen seemed to be his goal.

Of course I know nothing and they are all amazing and incredible.

Has anyone seen the video of people trying to run in a treadmill at Keely speed?! Very funny! And of course quite instructive. :-) G
8 Aug
9:00am, 8 Aug 2024
43,537 posts
  •  
Nellers
What Cheg said about MHS. He'd checked the screen but had nothing left. He set a new European record in getting a Silver, so he couldn't really have done much more. He ran it exactly as he needed to and someone else was slightly better on the day.
SPR
8 Aug
9:09am, 8 Aug 2024
45,568 posts
  •  
SPR
Kerr spotted Hocker as well, he just wasn't as fast over the last 100. He said he knew someone was there and you can clearly see he held him for a bit then couldn't maintain. Will be interesting if he says anything different in the future.

My thoughts on Kerr is to beat Hocker it needed to be a faster last 200 (and that might have failed anyway as Hocker might have matched it) but that was impossible in this race at the point they caught Ingebrigtsen as overtaking wasn't possible/ wise.
SPR
8 Aug
9:12am, 8 Aug 2024
45,569 posts
  •  
SPR
Agree about MHS as well, he ran his race and the finish was a function of the different strategies/ strengths of the runners.

Think Kerr got it right in his interview, control the controllables and run the best you can, you can't control what others do but if you've run the best you can, you have to be happy.
jda
8 Aug
9:15am, 8 Aug 2024
17,605 posts
  •  
jda
If Hocker can manage a faster finish off a harder race than Kerr has ever managed in his life, he's going to be hard to beat. I know it was only a few hundredths but hard to see how a different strategy would have made a difference.

Hocker was a bit lucky that Ingebrigtsen moved out to block Kerr and left a gap of course. If they'd kept straighter, Kerr would have won, it would have looked like a perfect run and we wouldn't be having this conversation. So maybe next time Kerr needs to get his shoulder in front sooner and not allow the space :-)
8 Aug
9:16am, 8 Aug 2024
4,362 posts
  •  
Cheg
They both got silvers, I still think if you ran the races five times they would get gold maybe three of those times. They must be gutted, but they both ran great races.

On the controllables side, athletics is one of the more controllable environments. Particuarly the 400m, you stay in lane. It is the skill based sports, and ones where you can stop your opponent that it gets messier.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).