Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

2 lurkers | 79 watchers
17 Mar
7:34am, 17 Mar 2024
3,718 posts
  •  
Lesley C
It was nice in the sun, was frosty first thing though.
17 Mar
5:56pm, 17 Mar 2024
41,200 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I sowed some dahlia seeds in the propagator last Sunday, I noticed they have germinated already :-)
17 Mar
6:47pm, 17 Mar 2024
8,737 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Seeds are amazing :-)
3M
17 Mar
7:59pm, 17 Mar 2024
23,587 posts
  •  
3M
I have lettuce seedlings under bell cloches in the veg bed!
And my pumpkins are sprouting from the seeds too.

:)
19 Mar
9:36am, 19 Mar 2024
52,720 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
the sides of our garden have loads of shrubs and a ton of ivy on the fence
We have tried pulling off the Ivy so many times (including a skip full during lockdown!)
I know Ivy is one of those things you can't get rid of and just need to keep on top of but my question is ....
as a result of so much Ivy and shrubs the actual bed/soil has loads of roots in it.
What's the best thing to do ...

keep pulling up roots and dig down deeper
or take out some and build up by adding new soil and compost?

also what's the best way to edge a lawn? is it form a trench or put in boards of some kind?

we've been in our house for 20 years but as we have always worked we've neglected it a lot. We do grow veg in a raised bed and pots but again as we work it's been a bit half hearted

Mr is now retired and I'm part time so would like to do more
3M
19 Mar
10:16am, 19 Mar 2024
23,623 posts
  •  
3M
Ivy seems to be a pernicious weed! Like you I've managed to hack loads back during lockdown, and prise it off the trees it was strangling (and 3 years later the trunks seem to be largely recovered!) but it send runners out and pops up a few feet away, so I think digging deeper and trying to get all of (or more of) the root is the way to go. Either that or concrete.... (I'm joking!). I did wonder if some systemic poison painted on the leaves might do it, but never tried it.

I bought some plastic corrugated lawn edging last year - would not recommend! Assuming you're "normal" and don't want to trim it with nail scissors, I'd go with straight edges. The corrugated plastic stuff gets brittle and shreds when you go near it with a strimmer or mower!

The ideal would be to form a trench with a "mounded" bed behind it, but again the soil and geography doesn't lend itself to that for me. Most of the beds are either the same height or higher than the lawn! (Which is fine in winter - the garden floods and the grass always recover better than any "paid for" plants!)
19 Mar
10:19am, 19 Mar 2024
52,723 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
thanks

I'm reading that white vineger is good for killing ivy 80:20 with water sprayed on to the leaves

anyone tried this?
19 Mar
10:40am, 19 Mar 2024
3,645 posts
  •  
cackleberry
We had some cheap/free bricks to edge our lawn at the old house, then the mower just goes over the top and it's all nice and neat.

Can't help with ivy.
19 Mar
10:46am, 19 Mar 2024
52,724 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
oh bricks that's an idea
19 Mar
11:01am, 19 Mar 2024
3,722 posts
  •  
Lesley C
We have an ivy problem too. It comings through the fence from the neighbours (on both sides). One side never do anything and I am fed up having to remove it from between the boards every other week. The other side are actually digging out on their side. Would also like any tips on getting rid of it. Thanks for bringing this up Pix.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.