Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

79 watchers
Nov 2023
9:02pm, 6 Nov 2023
114,000 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I use two daleks for leaves. You need to water them from time to time. Works well.
Nov 2023
9:19pm, 6 Nov 2023
66,167 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've got all my bulbs in and am very pleased with myself. I also have a few containers left over and am watching the end of season discounts and trying to sit on my hands because I know prices will improve.
Nov 2023
10:28pm, 6 Nov 2023
30,344 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I thouht I had all the bulbs in, then I tidied a pile of stuff and found some more.

My leeks have gone funny, all twisted and falling over. Never seen anything like it. Think they need grubbing up and binning :(
Nov 2023
11:18pm, 6 Nov 2023
2,364 posts
  •  
RooA
I have a very neglected rose in my extremely neglected garden. It is quite leggy and obviously we get high winds around here so feel it is possible it might get damaged. I had a quick Google and I feel I need to give it a light prune now but save a harder pruning for late winter/early spring.

Does that sound right?

I'm a bit scared to cut it right back. Maybe I'm just putting off doing that.

It is still producing some flowers though! Should I wait a little longer.

Also would she appreciate fresh horse manure or does she want well-rotted stuff? And when?

There's no point worrying really because the "garden" is just... not a garden. And if the rose dies it would be sad but hardly make a difference! But I am spending mental energy on this rose trying to figure out what to do. Every time I look at her. "What am I supposed to do with you?".
Nov 2023
11:34pm, 6 Nov 2023
4,001 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
I remember hearing a segment on GQT about pruning roses. Apparently someone did a study where on set of roses were pruned by experts, by the book and another was hacked by people who knew nothing, with chainsaws. It made no noticeable long term difference. Take this on your own cognisance! 😁
I’ve always heard use well rotted maure but I’m sure someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny (and poo poo para 1 as appropriate)
Nov 2023
11:38pm, 6 Nov 2023
2,365 posts
  •  
RooA
I mean. This rise has survived some impressive neglect/one inexpert hacking so far. It's doing well. How long do roses even live? The house was empty for a long time before us.
Nov 2023
11:38pm, 6 Nov 2023
2,366 posts
  •  
RooA
Rise=rose
Nov 2023
11:47pm, 6 Nov 2023
19,894 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
There's a saying along the lines of 'get your worst enemy to prune your roses' - they are pretty tough and very difficult to kill simply by bad pruning. Better to prune them in Feb/March rather than now, but a light pruning to protect from the wind won't do any harm. Some fancy hybrids might only last 10 years, but others can get to be 50+.

I'd never add fresh manure directly to the garden - either well rotted, or mix it into the compost heap. Again, usually better in spring because the rain will wash some of the nutrients away, so no real harm in applying it now. Roses will definitely appreciate the feeding though.
Nov 2023
11:54pm, 6 Nov 2023
2,372 posts
  •  
RooA
Thank you. I'll get brave and go for a light pruning before the next high winds.

I might still have some old manure hanging around but most went back on the fields. I'll start adding some to the compost heaps as well though.

I've no idea what sort of rose it is. It's pink. :-p
Nov 2023
9:10am, 7 Nov 2023
114,008 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I would gently prune now, then prune hard early spring, when vigorous new shoots start appearing. Prune back to an outward facing bud.
Unless you prune below the graft (thick nobbly bit at the bottom) or you plant it too deep: with the graft under the soil, you cannot really kill a rose!
I have restored a lot of "ruined" roses to great success. If pruned "right" you get a sea of flowers. There are techniques to enhance flowering but in your case, just reducing leggyness will do that. A bushier rose will produce more flowering shoots.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.