Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

2 lurkers | 79 watchers
Nov 2023
10:20am, 10 Nov 2023
11,754 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I picked the last of my green tomatoes this week. The plants I had in pots next to the west-facing wall were still looking healthy, but the last couple of cold nights is now finishing them off.
Nov 2023
9:58pm, 14 Nov 2023
22,351 posts
  •  
Columba
No frost here yet, and this is high ground in mid-Wales. Hard to believe.

I have two daleks, and one of them has spent the year on top of a raised bed. (the dalek being round, and the bed square, I grew a courgette plant in each corner). My hope is that I shall lift the dalek and there will be lots of lovely compost, already in situ in the raised bed. More likely, a lot of mixed stuff will tumble out, and some of it have to be removed and added to the other dalek.
Nov 2023
10:09pm, 14 Nov 2023
66,300 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That's a good practical plan, Columba :)

Nearly all the creepy-crawlies have disappeared from my daleks since I rearranged them. I assume they'll be back in the spring if the compost is to their taste.

I impulse-bought a load of ranunculus roots yesterday. Having looked more closely at how to raise them, I think I might be asking Dad if he wants a project for his greenhouse.
Nov 2023
5:36pm, 26 Nov 2023
3,311 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Hi all, I am feeling ambitious and have saved the seeds from my (supermarket) butternut squash.

How do I now turn them into new plants? I understand it is possible, but they will not look like butternut squash as they are hybrids.

Please be as basic as possible as I am SHIT at gardening but wish I liked it more!
We don't have a greenhouse anymore, but I have a cold frame and a sheltered, reasonably sunny garden.

(In my imagination, I have a small holding and grow mostly everything I need, but in reality I would probably starve to death...)
Nov 2023
6:41pm, 26 Nov 2023
4,933 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
My experience with butternut squash was that loads grew from my compost. I left 2 to see what they would do. Both grew and I got 2 decent sized butternut squashes but they didn’t fully ripen on the plant, I harvested them before the first frost and left on a windowsill but not much more ripening happened. I’m hoping to find time to cook them soon, hoping for the best.
Nov 2023
7:40pm, 26 Nov 2023
115,194 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Butternut squashes need a long season to ripen in my experience. I have to bring them on early in the greenhouse but they are tender, so can't go out until mid May, by which time they are taking over the greenhouse!
Nov 2023
7:48pm, 26 Nov 2023
3,312 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Ok, so can I leave the seeds on damp kitchen paper to germinate?
Nov 2023
7:53pm, 26 Nov 2023
115,196 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Cackle, seed saving from cucurbits, especially shop bought ones, is risky: they cross pollinate really easily and the hybrid fruits can give you serious gastric issues. And I mean: serious! So I don't seed save from them. You don't want to put your effort into something that then isn't going to produce food for the winter!
Nov 2023
8:01pm, 26 Nov 2023
3,313 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Ah, don't need gut-rot!
I'll save my effort for something else.

I tried butternut squash a year or so ago, out of 8 seeds, one germinated and got to about 1.5 inches high, then died. That was out of a proper bought packet. That is how 'good' at gardening I am...
Nov 2023
8:09pm, 26 Nov 2023
115,200 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Butternut squash isn't that easy!

Try Trimboncino squashes: eaten young they are tastier than courgettes and when left to mature store well and are similar to butternut squash. Very easy to grow. I climb mine so they take up less space too.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.