Helegant
I love the Halloween outfits :-)
Oct 2019
10:38am, 27 Oct 2019
6,155 posts
  •  
sallykate
Brilliant WL!

I once made daughter an Elsa (Frozen) costume because I couldn’t bear the idea of buying polyester crap of dubious provenance. The pattern was from Etsy (hat, cloak, skirt, blouse, bodice) and I bought material locally. She only wore it once but I still felt like it was worth it!
Oct 2019
10:39am, 27 Oct 2019
6,156 posts
  •  
sallykate
Or was it Anna? The one with brown hair, anyway.
Oct 2019
10:58am, 27 Oct 2019
20,571 posts
  •  
Meglet
That’s Anna. I think you posted pic of that, it looked great.

When I was a kid mass-produced fancy dress didn’t exist (or was much harder and costly to come by) so you had to make your own from what you had!
Oct 2019
11:11pm, 30 Oct 2019
6,557 posts
  •  
Helegant
Ive just blogged my 'headless horse rider costume. I may never work with chiffon again!
Oct 2019
7:50am, 31 Oct 2019
25,894 posts
  •  
HellsBells
It looks fab :-)
Chiffon is horrible - I'm struggling through a shirt for daughter in the stuff and the only way ?I can handle it is to use enough spray starch to render it stiff
Oct 2019
8:11am, 31 Oct 2019
20,574 posts
  •  
Meglet
Fab costume. Lots of pins for chiffon, or tack it before machining.
Oct 2019
10:01am, 31 Oct 2019
6,558 posts
  •  
Helegant
If i had followed the way I was taught it would have been cut out with tissue paper, pinned (with fine pins), tacked, machined with a small stitch and then all edges hand rolled and with care. All at a proper table with decent light.

In the event I sat at a tv table in the kitchen, hacked the design, rolled and stitched zigzag over the roll as I went with the wrong machine, etc etc, not a pin or a tack or sight. All the 'ripped' edges are raw. My only concession to quality is that the shoulder seam is a french seam.

I'm hoping she'll remember the fun long after the quality is forgotten.

I bought a special liquid some years ago that is supposed to stop frayed edges, but it made them quite hard, rather like PVA glue, so I didn't use it again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557