Kayaking & Canoeing thread

36 watchers
Aug 2013
8:06pm, 24 Aug 2013
5,726 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Jubear, I like to think I helped sow a seed, but it's down to his Dad (my bro) really.

They've both been doing really well this year. My bro's even talking about giving up smoking to improve his chances (or at least to make the winning less painful) :-)
Aug 2013
8:14am, 27 Aug 2013
4,996 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Kewl :)
Sep 2013
9:40pm, 21 Sep 2013
508 posts
  •  
Recoil
I'm really quite tired :)

2 days, 30 miles, grade 2 rapids, 1 vomit... what a great couple of days :)

We drove to Monmouth and got Kenny the Taxi to pick us up, the guy has a ton on knowledge regarding the River Wye, really interesting talking to him. He dropped us in Hoarwithy where I packed my kayak for the first time, I only just got it all in :o We had to lower the kayaks down the bank with ropes which was interesting... then paddled off, some interesting riffley bits, some rain, some wind but a really nice paddle none the less to Ross on Wye. 10 miles in total, no stops. Got to the White Lion alot quicker than we anticipated so set up the tents and wandered into Ross for a look about. Came back, ate at the White Lion which was ok, not great, just ok. Not sure if it was the food and it definitely wasn't the 1 beer I had but a bit of sickness in the night made me worry a bit for the 20 miles next day :( luckily it had gone by the morning so in for brekky.

Off down the river which had dropped by about 8 - 10 centimetres over night so it wasn't as fast as it had been. The weather was good with the sun peeking through quite often and we made great time to Symonds Yat rock where we stopped on a random gravel bank for a drink and a bite to eat... then on to Symonds Yat proper where without actually thinking about it we dropped into the rapids.... very choppy but I took the advice given and ploughed straight through the centre and kept paddling, despite a couple of panicky moments I made it out the other end in one piece and relatively dry, a leisurely 6 miles to Monmouth with some very spectacular scenery and out at the rowing club. We completed the stretch in 5 hours which was about 1 and a 1/2 hours quicker than we thought it would take!

Will definitely be going back to do some of it again at some point, might even make a longer trip of it!
Sep 2013
2:46pm, 25 Sep 2013
5,045 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Sounds like a fabulous weekend out, Recoil. I was running, but my club were on the Kerne Bridge to Symonds Yat section on Saturday. My son came home buzzing about it and left me feeling jealous. I believe he ran safety on the rapid and pulled a couple of people out :)

There are usualluy plenty of people about at SY who will happily practice their rescue skills for you if it all goes wrong.
Sep 2013
11:39am, 30 Sep 2013
512 posts
  •  
Recoil
JJ... there was NO one on the rapid... literally no one. We saw 2 other boats all day, and one of them was beached on a gravel bank the occupants having a cup of tea. it was a cracking couple of days
Sep 2013
1:19pm, 30 Sep 2013
5,048 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Wow! Brilliant. I've only really seen it empty of paddlers when it's running high. The good news is that if you had swum there is plenty of quiet water below to gather your kit together in.
Oct 2013
1:26pm, 1 Oct 2013
513 posts
  •  
Recoil
It was fantastic although I was really quite scared of the rapids (Im not a fan of water) but I came through it ok. It didnt convert me into a rabid white water kayaker and in fact more confirmed that if I can avoid rapids I will :) I am also going to purchase a helmet to wear on the rare occasions I do decide I want to risk my life ;)
Oct 2013
7:18pm, 26 Oct 2013
6,238 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Great report Recoil. I've got loads of great teenage memories associated with that stretch of water.

Meanwhile, I'm just back in the door from the SCA's Paddle 2013 exhibition in Perth. It was a really nice afternoon out wandering the stands, coming up-to-date with technological advances since the late '80s and bumping into a couple of old mates. I'm amazed at some of the cool stuff that's out there now.

I've fallen in love with a carbon and hickory laminate paddle with an ergonomic shaft and a svelte scooped blade. £195's a bargain, right?
Oct 2013
6:26am, 27 Oct 2013
5,078 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Yes, my blades would cost about £350 to replace. They make 1980s blades feel like pieces of plank. Last coaching session of the season this afternoon, then I'll be leading two Halloween paddles, complete with ghost stories in the week. I'm rather looking forward to it all.
Oct 2013
6:26am, 27 Oct 2013
5,079 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Yes, my blades would cost about £350 to replace. They make 1980s blades feel like pieces of plank. Last coaching session of the season this afternoon, then I'll be leading two Halloween paddles, complete with ghost stories in the week. I'm rather looking forward to it all.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...