Kayaking & Canoeing thread

36 watchers
Aug 2013
12:17pm, 2 Aug 2013
5,528 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Aye Recoil, the White Lion at Wilton. Nice pub. We used to wild camp on the edge of the playing fields on the opposite side of the river to the pub. Not sure if you'd get away with that these days
Aug 2013
11:23am, 7 Aug 2013
584 posts
  •  
Jubear
Excellent 2* drownage session last night!  There was a good flow on the river so we did the weir, then the coach showed us how to play on the stopper - it actually pushes you UP the face of the weir! - but the best bit, there was a large friendly seal kept appearing beside each of our boats and just staring at us!  They are big f uckrs I'm glad he didn't try to get into anybody's boat.
The other best bit, the cocky, irritating guy who nobody likes capsized in about 2 foot of water (and exited without getting his face wet) so the coach left him to it and didn't stop playing on the stopper to help him...  I thought that was a bit unprofessional, though I secretly admired the point he was making :-) so I paddled over and emptied his boat for him.  Good rescue practice for me and a deserved dunking for him.
I'll let you know how my bitchy smugness comes back to bite me next week
Aug 2013
11:47am, 7 Aug 2013
4,976 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Yay, sounds like good fun. I agree with the unprofessional bit, but it is important to remember that club coaches are pretty much all volunteers.

We did a beginner's night last night and had a big turnout. I unprofessionally jumped into the river last night just before I was due to give the safety briefing. The coach doing the first bit of the session covered for me by pointing out that I was the most dangerous thing in the river. :) muppet
Aug 2013
2:37pm, 7 Aug 2013
585 posts
  •  
Jubear
I thought the coach was entirely justified - we can all wet exit and there were five of us between him and swimmer if help was needed, it was just funny because it happened to That Guy ;-)
Dangerous things in the river, hmmm -I don't know about JJFlashes, but do seals bite people or only fish and penguins?
Aug 2013
2:47pm, 7 Aug 2013
4,977 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
As long as he was keeping an eye - if you've all been trained in rescues we have to let you get on with it, I suppose.

I've never heard of grey or harp seals biting people. It might happen, but I think it's more the territory of leopard seals and they live in the antartic. I don't bite people (in public) but they have been known to get rather soggy on warm evenings.
Aug 2013
7:27pm, 24 Aug 2013
5,723 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
My nephew was 3rd in his AG in the Canoe Marathon National Championships. Can't tell you how proud I am! :-) :-)
Aug 2013
7:35pm, 24 Aug 2013
25,938 posts
  •  
Nellers
Well done your nephew! Where do they hold the nationals these days, Angus? It used to always be at Reading.
Aug 2013
7:38pm, 24 Aug 2013
5,725 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Pangbourne Canoe Club (which I think IS Reading, isn't it?).
Aug 2013
7:44pm, 24 Aug 2013
590 posts
  •  
Jubear
Nice one AnCly! Will you be his manager? :-)
Aug 2013
7:46pm, 24 Aug 2013
25,940 posts
  •  
Nellers
Somewhere that way, Angus, yes.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...