Garmin

214 watchers
Nov 2022
11:50am, 15 Nov 2022
23,643 posts
  •  
Dave A
I’m simply after a decent hrm so I know that my training is the right effort etc.

I’ll see what the bank of money allows.
Nov 2022
11:57am, 15 Nov 2022
15,730 posts
  •  
Badger
I've found the 6x OHR to be quite good especially using a velcro strap to get the adjustment exactly right
amazon.co.uk
or the Garmin garmin.com
The Garmin one isn't available for the standard 6 I don't think, the off-brand one might be (and the quality/hold seems fine).
That said I still use an external HRM almost all the time, either the Tickr Fit that I think I put flanker & kinky on to in the first place or currently a Garmin HRM-Pro (old model) amazon.co.uk which is an HRM-Run with onboard storage so you can download it after swimming or something. (I don't use that feature but it's a very solid strap and the price isn't bad just now as it's end of line - the new version should last more battery changes because they've changed the battery change method)
Nov 2022
12:02pm, 15 Nov 2022
19,617 posts
  •  
larkim
I've had pretty much 99.9% reliability with my watch based HR, and I've posted images of graphs in the past which show both the watch and a trusted HRM side by side to demonstrate why I'm confident; beat for beat accuracy.

But as others have said it really does depend on the interaction of your watch and your wrist. The tech isn't necessarily bad, but a bony wrist with a loose / comfortable watch fitting against it has plenty of potential sources for error.
Nov 2022
12:05pm, 15 Nov 2022
15,731 posts
  •  
Badger
Totally agree - my caveat above about the velcro strap is definitely part of it!
I find the 6x much better than the 5 was, the 5 had me top of zone 2 running as hard as I could up the hill at Wimpole parkrun. That is not a zone 2 workout...
Nov 2022
12:17pm, 15 Nov 2022
19,618 posts
  •  
larkim
One further thing for me. I found chest straps to be a problem because the static from my t-shirts interfered somehow. I tried all of the solutions (wetting the strap, tightening the strap, loosening the strap, changing batteries, using medical grade contact gel, changing the strap, changing the sensor etc etc) and whilst I did get c. 90% accuracy (i.e. to the naked eye, the HR charts looked right for about 90% of the run, but blindingly obviously wrong for other chunks) the only thing which would cause the readings to revert to normal when a prolonged blip was happening was to pull off my t-shirt and run topless. And that is a solution that no-one around me needs to see.

I know that that is more the exception than the rule in terms of chest straps, but it does mean that if my wrist based HRM ever goes dodgy I would go back to an optical arm based device like the Polar OH1+ or Verity(?) which I think is the new name for it.
Nov 2022
2:11pm, 15 Nov 2022
27,139 posts
  •  
Rosehip
The wrist OHR on my fenix 7 seems pretty good, fewer odd spikes thatn I was getting with the strap and doesn’t seem prone to cadence lock that the 735 used to be
My Tikr strap seems to react to running close to electric fences, of which there are a few locally - as well as depend which clothing I wore.
Nov 2022
2:29pm, 15 Nov 2022
20,753 posts
  •  
flanker
I had some tops that I could guarantee would screw up the chest strap readings. And I found they used to chafe far too much to use regularly. That said, I've also had the Tickr pick up a cadence lock occasionally when wearing under a l/s or jacket. Which you'd think wouldn't happen with an optical...
Nov 2022
2:33pm, 15 Nov 2022
19,623 posts
  •  
larkim
I thought cadence lock with wrist sensors was the main problem - fleeting glimpses of light triggering the optical sensor to misinterpret it as heartbeats?
Nov 2022
2:36pm, 15 Nov 2022
20,754 posts
  •  
flanker
Indeed. Which is why it seems strange it only happens when it's under a sleeve!
Nov 2022
3:42pm, 15 Nov 2022
19,624 posts
  •  
larkim
Was presume the Tickr was a strap, is that optical too?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.