For those of the left handed persuasion

1 lurker | 20 watchers
um
Sep 2022
8:16am, 11 Sep 2022
6,484 posts
  •  
um
Mixed up here as well. Mostly right handed, but some things left handed. Like snooker / bar billiards.
When younger I could do most things with either, but now body & muscle memory makes it hard to swap - like anything with a racket, the hand will do it, but every other bit of my body is lining up for a right handed stroke.

My physio did say my legs gave it away though. Right leg muscles roughly 25% bigger than left leg. Which I'd never noticed. But she said was normal and nearly everyone had a preferred leg.
Sep 2022
8:35am, 11 Sep 2022
992 posts
  •  
JenHB
I can remember trying (and failing!) to use left handed scissors - the issue was I didn't know they were left handed so trying to use them in the right (as I'm right handed)
Sep 2022
8:36am, 11 Sep 2022
15,376 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
I think we do get mixed up because we’re living in world of right dominated conventions.

I’m a keen follower of professional snooker and recently have noticed that the percentage of high ranked players that are left handed is higher than expected?
Sep 2022
8:39am, 11 Sep 2022
64,687 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I blame being left handed for my coordination - it’s totally rubbish ;-) . Doing gym work etc I always start with the opposite leg to everyone and turn the opposite way etc.
Sep 2022
8:41am, 11 Sep 2022
15,378 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
I can’t dance
Sep 2022
8:49am, 11 Sep 2022
16,906 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Dextral person here, but live with one of "you lot". He's a nightmare, makes me open packets when scissors are needed, can't write properly... :) And before I realised how special the Sinistrals were I was baffled as to why we kept having broken tin openers.

He maintains that being left handed is entirely normal - but given he is a gay leftie (lefty?) with a degenerative condition I think we can safely say he's got the devil in him ;)

Gentle mocking aside - have others found left-handed scissors to be helpful? I'll not let him use my "normal" scissors as he tends to destroy those, too.

Also, this is entirely anecdotal, but in my line of work (chatting to and prosecuting hardened crims) I've noted there seems to be a high proportion of left-handers amongst their number. I can only assume that a life of frustration turns them to a life of petty crime... (can't imagine there might be other factors :) )
Sep 2022
9:00am, 11 Sep 2022
34,678 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Liam Brady was my favourite footballer
Sep 2022
9:06am, 11 Sep 2022
20,264 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I play left handed guitar, like Hendrix. 😀
Sep 2022
9:09am, 11 Sep 2022
20,265 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Can kick with both, but prefer left. All throws with left (javelin, shot, discus, bowling, darts - the lot) can catch with both but prefer left.
Sep 2022
9:32am, 11 Sep 2022
19,750 posts
  •  
richmac
I just use no handed scissors.

Also opening tins, I used to use openers that grip the can rather than rely on constant pressure, but recently bought myself a power opener, which is when quite entertaining to watch.

Ctrl alt delete that's a bugger with 1 hand

About This Thread

Maintained by UltraDunc
Following on from observations of royal leftists 😀