Fetch Virtual Challenge 2024

102 watchers
3M
21 May
8:56am, 21 May 2024
24,077 posts
  •  
3M
57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote:Joe1970 wrote:Southerner here...I've got as far as Yorkshire on the walk/run, and it's all sweeping views and dry stone walls and the occasional remote house whenever I've parked up recently. Looks like an absolutely beautiful part of the world. Having very rarely ventured north of Watford, I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not having explored the country a bit more!Remember that Yorkshire is still in the southern half of Great Britain. Lots of good stuff beyond!

There's a line in one of the Auf Wiedersehen Pet episodes about Yorkshire being in the deep south, I think? :-)

It's almost true though - York is almost exactly half way between Edinburgh and London! (And I've never come away from Edinburgh feeling quite so grubby as I do from London!)

As an adopted son, I'm very happy to say Yorkshire is rather beautiful! (even though I grew up on the IoW - differently beautiful!)
3M
21 May
8:58am, 21 May 2024
24,078 posts
  •  
3M
In other news, I's on t he approach to Cambridge now. (A very pleasant and leafy industrial/trading estate compared to my expectations!)
21 May
11:11am, 21 May 2024
148 posts
  •  
Joe1970
I like the thought of Yorkshire as the deep south! I recall a time from my childhood when my parents wanted to visit friends who had moved to Dundee. In the days before the internet, my mum tried to find a hotel in Dundee, but couldn't, and ended up booking one in Leeds, because that had to be pretty close, right? So I have been to Yorkshire, but only for an overnight stop! There's loads of the country to explore, for sure, and we've done a lot of Wales and south west, but not so much in the north (or, 'midlands' as the northerners call it ;) ) My wife has this grand romantic vision of getting a campervan in a few years when the teenager needs less supervision and seeing a bit more, so I'm sure we will in due course. In the meantime, I'm liking the Streetview pictures :)
21 May
11:18am, 21 May 2024
69,037 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've had the opposite experience. When I was growing up, the south east of England was all one big mass labelled "London - grey and stinky". As an adult, I've discovered that this is not at all the case. (And I quite like London, I can understand why people cling to the city.)
21 May
11:30am, 21 May 2024
18,477 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Joe1970 wrote:I like the thought of Yorkshire as the deep south! I recall a time from my childhood when my parents wanted to visit friends who had moved to Dundee. In the days before the internet, my mum tried to find a hotel in Dundee, but couldn't, and ended up booking one in Leeds, because that had to be pretty close, right? So I have been to Yorkshire, but only for an overnight stop!
LOL 😆
21 May
12:27pm, 21 May 2024
149 posts
  •  
Joe1970
Big fan of London too, but I also understand people who hate it! I could easily become a fan of "the north" to use a generic term. But having just passed through Blubberhouses on the virtual challenge I reckon there are places that could do with a rebrand in all areas of the country...
21 May
2:27pm, 21 May 2024
852 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
MazH Shall we have a cuppa and a blether? We seem to be sitting in the same bar......
21 May
2:52pm, 21 May 2024
3,840 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Checkpoint 4 for me too today :-)
3M
21 May
7:00pm, 21 May 2024
24,085 posts
  •  
3M
Leeds as a suburb of Dundee? Excellent!

Although when I first met my now wife I had to use a pocket diary map to find out where Chester is!

It's on the outskirts of Liverpool. ;)
21 May
7:13pm, 21 May 2024
2,561 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
A cold has slowed my riding for the last few days. So it's fortunate that today's commute has stopped me outside a pharmacy! May help me get through checkpoint 8

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
More news on this soon! Follow this thread for updates!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.