Fetch Camper Vans

1 lurker | 93 watchers
Jun 2023
5:30pm, 28 Jun 2023
16,983 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sorry was also meant to say I know what you mean with regard Normandy and the history etc.
Jun 2023
8:35am, 30 Jun 2023
2,618 posts
  •  
Big_G
Back home last night after a pleasant crossing, and a reasonable drive, so need to clean the van out ready for our next trip (yet to be decided). It’s raining here today, so probably I’ll postpone that job until tomorrow :)

I have to say, I’m really impressed with the engine etc in the van. It’s only a 1.6L Renault diesel, but it’s superb. Purrs along at 130km/hr (80mph) in 6th with no issues whatsoever, but also great on the hills in the Alps and Dolomites. I’d prefer it if it had cruise control, but never mind. It averaged just under 40mpg, which keeping in mind that included lots of very hilly roads, I’m happy with.

We did 2500 miles in 20 days and it never missed a beat. Wouldn’t expect it to as it’s only 7 years old, but I was pleased. Only minor thing was the canopy (a Thule manual one) got jammed one time. I managed to free it and it seemed like the middle ‘knuckle’ on one of the arms was very tight, which was causing the roll to become misaligned. I loosened it with an allen key and it was okay, but I need to look at that properly at some point. If anyone has any ideas of what to look at/for, I’d be interested.
Jul 2023
3:39pm, 1 Jul 2023
3,674 posts
  •  
Ally-C
What wind speed do folk generally put their roof down?
Jul 2023
4:57pm, 1 Jul 2023
26,505 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
75mph in the outside lane?!
Jul 2023
7:40am, 2 Jul 2023
2,695 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
When it gets too noisy to sleep.
Jul 2023
9:23am, 2 Jul 2023
2,625 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’ve had 4 separate people message me on Facebook/WhatsApp asking if we had the route saved somewhere for our recent European jaunt. Very nice to be asked, but I haven’t got anything I can share really - we literally had our key destinations (alps, Como, Dolomites), looked in an atlas and plotted it out that way.

Does anyone have software/apps they use for plotting/storing routes? We had Google maps on as GPS but weren’t following a set out route as such.
Jul 2023
2:10pm, 2 Jul 2023
16,991 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Big_G not sure if you are a member of this group on FB

facebook.com

It's a really good group and someone posted a video the other day that they had done on Travel Boast - might have to use it
Jul 2023
2:38pm, 2 Jul 2023
2,629 posts
  •  
Big_G
Mandymoo, thanks. I hadn’t come across that group. I’ve just requested to become a member so I’ll check it out.
Jul 2023
12:10pm, 9 Jul 2023
17,030 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
And so the conversations go on. We are currently coming to the end of our 3 weeks in France and OH is still talking of other options rather than the wobblebox. Apparently it is my fault as I like to take all my toys with me (paddleboard, bike etc) and it the weight ratio etc (ebikes are so heavy and in an ideal world would take my road bike too 😂).

Current options/wants from him are a twin cab pickup (which could then be used for bikes) but do I want that as a daily drive?

A smaller crafter size campervan - but would mean a massive cut down on space inside, plus not sure where finances would sit with this. Plus we would still need a car.

Or do we get another VW T6 for our daily vehicle and not convert it this time.

Honestly it does my bliddy head in
Jul 2023
1:32pm, 9 Jul 2023
11,443 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
LWB Caddy with a roof rack and tow the caravan with that?

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...