Fetch Birdwatchers

2 lurkers | 166 watchers
8 Sep
1:00pm, 8 Sep 2024
24,328 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
A big head-down cycle ride in drizzle this morning to visit a cousin. Did manage to see a lapwing rising up from farmland.

Yesterday 2 buzzards circling overhead end of my road over farmland and common sandpipers at the beach. Plenty of goldfinches around generally - seem to be prolific. I’m getting peacock butterflies on the buddleia still.
9 Sep
6:57pm, 9 Sep 2024
3,340 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Spotted flycatcher heard on merlin. Couldn't see it though.
9 Sep
9:44pm, 9 Sep 2024
67,872 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Spot fly, nice
10 Sep
9:52am, 10 Sep 2024
4,585 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Pinkies starting to be reported. I haven't seen or heard any yet. Real sign of autumn.
10 Sep
10:31am, 10 Sep 2024
3,341 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I think I might have seen a snipe today. Was walking the dog and it flew out of the grass at the side of farmland in Aberdeenshire. Definitely the right size, colour and beak. Didn't see it for long though.

According to this page though they should only be here in winter.

rspb.org.uk
10 Sep
10:34am, 10 Sep 2024
34,365 posts
  •  
HellsBells
We saw 4 at Fowlmere on Sunday, they’re definitely around
J2R
10 Sep
10:43am, 10 Sep 2024
5,610 posts
  •  
J2R
5 magpies chasing off a sparrowhawk above my garden just now. Quite a display.
10 Sep
2:01pm, 10 Sep 2024
3,739 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
RunningRonnie wrote:I think I might have seen a snipe today. Was walking the dog and it flew out of the grass at the side of farmland in Aberdeenshire. Definitely the right size, colour and beak. Didn't see it for long though. According to this page though they should only be here in winter. rspb.org.uk

I think that graphic is a rather simplistic interpretation of their distribution. Sure you'll see a movement towards lowland costal areas in the winter but it's also true that you'll see Snipe throughout the UK throughout the year in the right habitat.
10 Sep
2:08pm, 10 Sep 2024
24,345 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
jacdaw wrote:Pinkies starting to be reported. I haven't seen or heard any yet. Real sign of autumn.

Saw a couple of large formations of geese flying over Moray today. Couldn’t tell if they were pinkies.
10 Sep
2:12pm, 10 Sep 2024
34,993 posts
  •  
Old Croc
the geese fly over our house in very large formations

About This Thread

Maintained by AngelWings
Big Garden Birdwatch 26-28th January rspb.org.uk

BTO BirdTrack: blx1.bto.org

BirdTrack App: bto.org

BTO Website: bto.org