FE Lake District Lovers

7 lurkers | 94 watchers
Oct 2021
7:57pm, 27 Oct 2021
5,289 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Been in Grasmere since Sat and finally gave up on it this afternoon. I suppose the October weather is always a gamble but this week has felt like a tough roll of the dice!!

It felt like the Lakes are being hit hard by other issues too. Places still short of staff and as a result doing short services / closed a few nights a weeks. Then the Grasmere co-op had no milk, orange juice, bread for 2 full days!!

Still the place I most like to be though and by the weekend I’ll be back on Rightmove 😀.
Oct 2021
8:08pm, 27 Oct 2021
22,820 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Does look like the waterfalls will be spectacular at the moment!

I’ll be heading northwards at some point next week, was hoping that the leaves would still be on the trees, but the current weather makes that unlikely
Oct 2021
8:10pm, 27 Oct 2021
8,080 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
We're meant to be doing the Ullswater Challenge 24 on Saturday, it could be a bit damp!
Oct 2021
8:10pm, 27 Oct 2021
22,821 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Just a bit!
Oct 2021
8:17pm, 27 Oct 2021
5,290 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Rose - all the leaves are blocking the drains 😂!!
Oct 2021
8:25pm, 27 Oct 2021
5,408 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I'm heading up to Ullock (a bit south of Cockermouth) on Saturday for a week. Son and friend (outdoor activity centre instructors) have a cottage booked and due to dates changing the person with transport can't go, so I've stepped in :)
As part of working toward their mountain leader qualification they're hoping to do a night or two of wild camping. I won't be joining them ;)
Looking forward to returning to the lakes after several years, but will have to be realistic on how much I can do given age, fitness and the weather!
Oct 2021
8:59pm, 27 Oct 2021
2,465 posts
  •  
Canute
In south Lakes we have lovely autumn colours on the trees and also on the ground at present. I managed to dodge the rain on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, by good luck rather than planning. I even enjoyed some good views from the low summits of outlying fells. Today I got thoroughly drenched during a 7 Km run. I enjoyed running in the rain, but was mildly dismayed to realise that darkness had crept up on me well before 6 pm (and it will be even worse after the clocks go back). One good thing about working from home is that I can get out earlier in the day provided I plan my day appropriately.
Oct 2021
9:19pm, 27 Oct 2021
3,577 posts
  •  
Snoot
It’s certainly been windy and wet here for the last couple of days!! Flood gates shut in Cockermouth.

As WW says the leaves are coming off and down the drains!!

Ullock is a nice little village TR with a quirky garden room at the end of one property. You’ll see what I mean when you’re there.
Oct 2021
9:20pm, 27 Oct 2021
5,291 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
We had a great day in the fells on Monday. It was cold (zero in the wind chill, apparently) and windy (50 mph gusts) on the tops and we got rained on a fair few times. We barely saw a sole until we went over Helvellyn and proceeded back towards Dunmail where we’d parked. As we came down around 2:30 still donned in many layers, gloves, hats, the lot, we crossed folks just setting out from Wythburn. Some looked really underprepared. One family of 5 were in t-shirts (I know you get warm going up!) with only a couple of very small bags between them. It poured down about 30 mins later. It quite frightened me actually.

Do any of you more experienced folks ever say anything to these kind of groups? The Mountain Rescue teams must hate school holidays….
Oct 2021
9:32pm, 27 Oct 2021
8,081 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Sometimes. But then some people aren't very receptive to good advice, you know how it is.

Earlier this year I was running down towards Eskdale from Three Tarns when I met three young scouse lads who enquired as to "the best way up to Scafell Pike", two of them were carrying crates of cider. Given their lack of a) a map b) local knowledge and c) any brains at all, the only reasonable direction to point them in was in the direction of Little Narrow Cove, a very steep climb and not one to be tackled by pissed young lads. I told them the odds against success were high, but they plugged onwards, swearing and laughing copiously. I wonder if they made it? I checked MRT reports for the next couple of days and there was nothing.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
Somewhere you can confidently ask "which is the best chip shop in Keswick?" and expect an intelligent reply.

Lots of experience and good advice available here, from which B & B or YHA to the best fell for Grandma to climb :-)

Wainwrights Progress
Phal: 108/214
R4R: 126/214
Velociraptor: 86/214
Flanker: 76/214
Dave A: 86/214
_andy: 64/214
Snoot: 93/214
Lottie: 51/214
Stan: 49/214
um: 61/214
Rosehip: 46/214
HellsBells: 24/214
BaronessBL: 17/214
Homer: 138/214
OverTheHillToo: 48/214 (2nd)
Northern Exile: 141/214 (3rd)
Jaks: 10/214
Synge 18/214 (2nd/V60)

Wainwrights Completers
Gromit
Flying Finn
SimonF
Synge
Northern Exile x 2
OverTheHillToo
runnyeyes
Chrisity
JenHB

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.