EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

70 watchers
Oct 2016
5:27pm, 26 Oct 2016
1,688 posts
  •  
Cheg
Also what is a douchebag? There are lots of shades of douche.

It's not just Employers, my wife isn't perfect. She is the least bad option though :-)
Oct 2016
5:32pm, 26 Oct 2016
4,909 posts
  •  
Winded
I have to agree with others and not take your side here Binks.

Not choosing to vote for the least worst option makes it more likely that some of the other options will win so it is actually choosing to further the cause of the people you support least. Not only that but over time causes put forward by small groups that are generally disagreed with can become mainstream - we have seen this happen with sensible things like environmental policies and batshit madness like the reason for this thread.

Also having the luxury of leaving your job if you are in a huff is fine if that's your thing but if you can't replace the income (or live on some other income) then to make a point to a faceless corporation that isn't listening you get to have your house repossessed. It isn't a stance I would take to extremes though - there are things that could make me quit a job for the same reasons that I would not choose to go and work for (say) a cigarette company. In general though the normal corporate douchebag behaviour would not be nearly enough to make me leave.
Oct 2016
6:02pm, 26 Oct 2016
165 posts
  •  
deslauriers
Binks- What was it you discovered about the EU that led you to object to it? I am genuinely curious.
Oct 2016
7:33pm, 26 Oct 2016
10,633 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
dangerous ground cheg :-O
Oct 2016
8:08pm, 26 Oct 2016
1,689 posts
  •  
Cheg
Think I'm safe on fetch :) she's a good egg really.
Oct 2016
11:42am, 27 Oct 2016
7,358 posts
  •  
Binks
Growth this quarter 0.5% (Treasury forecast post vote was -0.1% optimistic and -1% pessimistic, though based on A50 being done immediately)

Nissan announcing they will keep production here when they said pre-brexit they might not.

I know, early days, still need to leave etc etc.

However, Does anyone in the doomsday camp even entertain the possibility that the economy just might not completely go to shit?

It may well do. I would draw 2 speculative conclusions though.

1 - It's less likely that it was predicted by the economists 3-6 months ago
2 - Based on yet another wide of the mark prediction I think the credence which give to economic forecasters should be reduced.
Oct 2016
11:46am, 27 Oct 2016
10,115 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Growth in quarter 2 was 0.7% and would have been expanding, so a reduction to 0.5% is not great news. Crap predicting and scare mongering has made it seem like good news. Also - newsflash - we haven't activated article 50 yet.

My prediction - and I'm sure I've made it here before, the economy doesn't tank, but remains sluggish and continuously underperforms by a small but significant amount for the next 20 years under what it might have been. Trouble is because of extreme reporting from govt/treasury and some over enthusiastic remain supporters means this can now be portrayed as a "win" because it is undeniably not the apocalypse.
Oct 2016
12:30pm, 27 Oct 2016
4,912 posts
  •  
Winded
I don't think there will be a significant amount of going to shit until we actually leave - or do whatever it is we do. I imagine there will be some minor stuff when article 50 is invoked.

It has always been the case that we will survive outside the EU - just that our economic performance will not be as good as if we remain. We step off the cliff and sometime soon after we'll find out how far the tide is in/out for the short term shock- but it is the long term difference in opportunity that will make our grandchildren poorer not the short term growth figures.
Oct 2016
12:32pm, 27 Oct 2016
14,798 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
I agree. I think it will take the form of a progressive divergence in performance over time as the percentage increments compound themselves.
Oct 2016
12:40pm, 27 Oct 2016
4,913 posts
  •  
Winded
Blinks - re your conclusions:

1. A bit less likely yes however the economic predictions were predicated on Cameron's stated option of invoking article 50 straight away. Lacking article 50 we lack many of the consequences. Delaying article 50 has no doubt softened the blow- by how much is uncertain.
2. economic forecasters are mostly good at general trends when things are steady - they are fairly good at predicting small changes when there are a few factors changing a little. Right now we have many factors changing quite fast; they can tell us what impact one thing has on the system but predicting the cumulative outcome of many things whose values keep changing is always going to be a tricky thing - there are too many unpredictable things going on just now. That does not mean they are wrong when they say X works against us or Y works for us - just that it isn't really possible to resolve the vectors with the information available. It

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...