Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
May 2021
12:57pm, 24 May 2021
8,626 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
In my village on the main road running through it I have counted at least 100 parked cars on Googlemaps and about 20 lampposts.

8 of the lampposts you couldn’t park next to as they are at junctions / the school with its yellow markings / the whole bottom part of the lamppost is obscured by foliage / the lamppost is next to or between people’s driveways so parking not possible without obstruction.

Like I say it’s a limited solution.
May 2021
12:58pm, 24 May 2021
7,120 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Why, it's almost as if that is a surmountable problem!
May 2021
12:59pm, 24 May 2021
7,121 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Ah hang on. Foliage, you say? Damn.
jda
May 2021
1:00pm, 24 May 2021
10,197 posts
  •  
jda
No, it’s quite clear: TMW’s village proves conclusively that electric cars can’t work.
May 2021
1:03pm, 24 May 2021
8,627 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
The foliage one is soft I give you.

But if a lamppost is on the 5ft gap between 2 driveways I don’t see that a car can park there without obstructing the driveways. Without moving the lamppost. The question I’d have then is who pays for it. The electric car owner I would say as they’ve already proved they like paying through the odds!

Also our lampposts appear to be attached to the telegraph poles which may make a difference!
May 2021
1:04pm, 24 May 2021
14,529 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
<sighs>

Charging via pavement infrastructure will work for some. In fact for many of those who don't have allocated parking slots/driveways.

For the areas (e.g. inner london) where the parking is difficult, then this is where the early adoption of autonomous EVs will happen. Just like car clubs and community schemes operate now (my friends who lived in central london were part of one and this was 10years ago).

For most home/work charging solutions will suffice.

yes, there might be 10-15% of people for whom the current solutions don't quite work, but they will get solved.

And then will be irrelevant as autonomous taxi-style EVs and improved public transport put car ownership out of fashion.
May 2021
1:04pm, 24 May 2021
8,628 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I’ve actually praised the concept while highlighting it’s not going to work everywhere for everyone.

Never mind
May 2021
1:05pm, 24 May 2021
20,856 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Private companies install them, charge people to use them, and recoup their costs that way.

Exactly how you'd like it, I'd have thought. Business takes the risk and collects the rewards.
May 2021
1:06pm, 24 May 2021
5,152 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
we've got a mix of in-lamppost chargers and new standalone units but all of them are in permitted areas. I asked the council for a solution, they suggested I could risk it and hope that the wardens didn't get me. The future is bright.
May 2021
1:09pm, 24 May 2021
14,487 posts
  •  
larkim
The issue, as TMW rightly points out, is reserving street space. No point having a charging point in the lamppost outside your house if your neighbours park there regularly and your cable won't reach.

It's *a* solution in some locations, but it is not *the* solution for everywhere. Plenty of places where it won't work, or where additional digging up of pavements would be needed to create capacity.

A whole range of solutions for domestic charging need putting in place. From my own personal experience, the huge benefit of charging very cheaply at home needs to be available to as many people as possible to support the uptake, so lampposts, bollards, under pavement conduits, chargers in communal carparkrs for flats etc etc all need deploying.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.