Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
Aug 2023
6:50pm, 29 Aug 2023
2,312 posts
  •  
Heinzster
This will hopefully give some of you a laugh. My mum and her neighbours are predominately very elderly but generally well. Each week when the bin men come they all rush out (rush is a relative term) to put each others bins away, so no 1 does no 2's bin then rushes to put their own away before no 4 gets there. This takes precedence over things like family visiting and so on.
This week, and not for the first time, mum's neighbour put her bin away even more promptly than usual. Unfortunately this was before the bin men got to empty it...
Aug 2023
7:05pm, 29 Aug 2023
17,251 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sounds like my neighbour. Even she surpassed herself today. She came rushing out saying her husband (who was out) tried to ring her but every time she called him back her mobile rang again and she could hear him yep he had taken her mobile and she was calling herself on his (she did this 5 times before I explained what was going on)
Aug 2023
8:15pm, 29 Aug 2023
63,593 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh my

I called Mum. It went much better because I didn't feel pressured into it
Aug 2023
8:30pm, 29 Aug 2023
46,204 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Well done lindsd
Aug 2023
8:31pm, 29 Aug 2023
17,253 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Well done Linds
CK2
Aug 2023
10:35pm, 29 Aug 2023
2,219 posts
  •  
CK2
Great news Linds.

I’ve been with my mum for a couple of days. I’m very lucky that I genuinely enjoy her company and the time flew. Knackered now though!
MsG
Aug 2023
11:01pm, 29 Aug 2023
2,548 posts
  •  
MsG
There's a Google account feature you can set up where if you're inactive for a specified amount of time, then it will notify them (and if you set it up) allow access to person(s) that you set up.

It's a failsafe for incapacity/death.

It's called inactive account manager. Find it under account, data and privacy scroll down to more options, then make a plan for your digital legacy.
Aug 2023
12:54am, 30 Aug 2023
3,578 posts
  •  
No.12
That's useful to know
Aug 2023
12:21pm, 30 Aug 2023
25,529 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
BiL has gone to far this time :-(

This is so upsetting and frustrating and hard to see where it ends.
Aug 2023
12:23pm, 30 Aug 2023
2,978 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Oh Baz, given the things you've talked about on here, I hate to think what he's done now.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.