Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
Aug 2023
4:35pm, 28 Aug 2023
70,939 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hugs to the ones struggling with guilt. Like jda says many people don’t get visitors at home but also many people don’t appreciate the visits they do get. It’s really not a god given right just because you have family but to be constantly badgering about visits is not good.

Dad is having a direct funeral on Friday morning ( the anniversary of my my mum’s death unfortunately )and then we will intern him when we get the grave opened.
Aug 2023
10:23pm, 28 Aug 2023
63,567 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hugs LG

I didn't call. SD came round and didn't leave until nearly 8. I'll (probably) call tomorrow.
Aug 2023
1:36pm, 29 Aug 2023
3,575 posts
  •  
No.12
Not so much just for elderly... my sisters hubby had a survivable serious stroke a year ago and my sister in law lost her hubby (my bro) a couple of weeks ago on holiday abroad. Both tragecially too young and obviously unexpected. Both men had iPhones. One can't remember any numbers and the other never told his wife what his pin number is. It has caused so much pain and trouble on top of the normal distress. For one, Insurance docs on the iPhone inaccessible abroad, photos, documents and ongoing issues with 2nd level authorisation requiring access to texts on the iphone for key online accounts etc, lost precious family videos and photos. Blocked access to joint email accounts as one let the iPhone account lapse and the number is no longer valid, so can't even reset it etc. A catalogue of bollocks they are dealing with. So I don't care what anyone says, write your pin down somewhere for your partner. A really unnecessary pain for all those trying to support them.
Aug 2023
1:37pm, 29 Aug 2023
3,576 posts
  •  
No.12
Rant over. Thanks
Aug 2023
1:39pm, 29 Aug 2023
46,179 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
sorry that you learnt this the hard way No 12 and a very valid comment
especially as a lot of us use finger prints now too
jda
Aug 2023
2:03pm, 29 Aug 2023
15,398 posts
  •  
jda
Sorry to hear that, it was a minor ball ache when my sister died and a few iThings were hard to access (and facebook still hasn't deleted or archived her page, I gave up trying...). My wife and I have known each others' PINs and passwords since for ever and I know my mum has all hers written in a little book for when the time comes.
Aug 2023
2:07pm, 29 Aug 2023
3,577 posts
  •  
No.12
Yes, we do the same. We even use the same pins to avoid issues
Aug 2023
2:10pm, 29 Aug 2023
33,891 posts
  •  
Ness
Mr Ness and I know each others PINs and passwords (well for most things. He hasn't got m yet password for Fetch! 😉😂) .
3M
Aug 2023
4:25pm, 29 Aug 2023
21,978 posts
  •  
3M
Ditto, Ness!

(Although my F-i-L's little black book of passwords worries me a bit - it's in no very obvious order and the passwords are written down however - so upper & lower case are used interchangeably...and he's never apparently grasped the difference between a zero and an "O". His handwriting is just like that...)

A little while ago whilst "fixing" my Mum's FB account I granted myself next of kin rights to delete her account when she's gone. Since she's now incapable of using a phone or computer, I think it's largely irrelevant.

I've never quite understood the tendency to keep someone's FB account open after they've died as a tribute page. I occasionally get suggestions for "Friends" I know are not going to accept my offer this side of the grave! :-o
Aug 2023
5:27pm, 29 Aug 2023
63,592 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's awful No.12

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.