Cricket Thread

3 lurkers | 107 watchers
15 Oct
11:49pm, 15 Oct 2024
23,238 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
fetcheveryone wrote:Doesn’t necessarily devalue bowling skills either. Good bowlers have brains, and can learn what type of balls are harder to score off, and which balls get dismissals. As a gateway format, surely that’s the primary skill. Light the spark and see what it gives you.

I used to play indoor.

One 8 ball over each. Pointless.

2 overs isn't sufficient to teach bowling skills.

There are better gateways than 10over nonsense
15 Oct
11:53pm, 15 Oct 2024
23,239 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
SPR wrote:A football match wouldn't take 3 hours and also there's 5 a side which is even shorter. Agree bowling probably suffers though. I'm sure when the hundred was first mooted, I thought T10 made more sense as something different.

Actually you'd be surprised.

A football game is 90mins. Most clubs I've seen seem to have 10mins for half time. Then you've got to meet beforehand - the local club where I play meet an hour or more before kick off. Then showers and teas after. It all adds up.

Even our home hockey matches (70mins match plus strict 5min half time) are 2.5-3h minimum out of the day

When I used to play 20over cricket in the evening, we'd start at 6 and usually be done by 9.
um
16 Oct
6:42am, 16 Oct 2024
8,958 posts
  •  
um
I used to play an indoor variant, teams of 6, everbody bowled 2 overs, everybody batted (with a partner) 4 overs. Inside a net, and a lighter (not softer) ball.
1 run for first side netting, 2 runs end 'side' netting, 4 runs for the end neeting, 6 for the end netting without bouncing.
Out - loss of 5 runs. And you could be caught off any netting.

Bowling - it made you very sharp, anything loose got hammered.
Ditto batting - anything in the air was a good chance of being caught.
All over in <1.5 hours and since it was indoors, no rain or bad light issues.

Short and sharp but good players showed through, as did those who could learn and adapt.
And great fun.
(and a bar!)
16 Oct
7:18am, 16 Oct 2024
7,794 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
The European Cricket Network has tournaments running throughout the year - probably less than ten days without a tournament somewhere. Nearly all are 10 over games. Might not be everyone's cup of taa but the participants clearly enjoy it and find it worthwhile so why not.
16 Oct
7:20am, 16 Oct 2024
31,162 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
That sounds familiar @um - and I agree, good fun, competitive and something to raise the pulse on a dark evening.
16 Oct
7:25am, 16 Oct 2024
7,795 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
And agree with um indoor cricket is great to play and watch. Generally now 8 a side and 16 5 or 6 ball overs - everyone bowling 2 overs. It's a different game to outdoors (particularly batting technique) but certainly improves reactions for close fielding!
Whilst it's never really taken off in the UK several Aussie internationals played it in their youth, and I have seen several England women internationals playing it.
(10 years ago I was watching youngest playing in indoor world cup in NZ - where incidentally we saw Amelia Kerr playing for NZ and it was already clear she'd be something special)
16 Oct
8:29am, 16 Oct 2024
978 posts
  •  
njosmith
Looked like (from a short highlights clip) that Root was wearing a helmet at first slip when the first wicket was taken. Was he standing particularly close? I don't think I have ever seen that before.
16 Oct
8:39am, 16 Oct 2024
31,163 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
He was doing that yesterday too, and at leg gully this morning I think. The ball just isn't carrying, so he's having to creep closer.
16 Oct
9:14am, 16 Oct 2024
6,718 posts
  •  
paulcook
um wrote:I used to play an indoor variant, teams of 6, everbody bowled 2 overs, everybody batted (with a partner) 4 overs. Inside a net, and a lighter (not softer) ball. 1 run for first side netting, 2 runs end 'side' netting, 4 runs for the end neeting, 6 for the end netting without bouncing. Out - loss of 5 runs. And you could be caught off any netting. Bowling - it made you very sharp, anything loose got hammered. Ditto batting - anything in the air was a good chance of being caught. All over in <1.5 hours and since it was indoors, no rain or bad light issues. Short and sharp but good players showed through, as did those who could learn and adapt. And great fun. (and a bar!)

A long time ago I played a tournament at the indoor Headingley centre (if it's still there) and it sounds very, very similar to all of that. We didn't last long - perhaps only one match.
16 Oct
11:42am, 16 Oct 2024
23,240 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
paulcook wrote:um wrote:I used to play an indoor variant, teams of 6, everbody bowled 2 overs, everybody batted (with a partner) 4 overs. Inside a net, and a lighter (not softer) ball. 1 run for first side netting, 2 runs end 'side' netting, 4 runs for the end neeting, 6 for the end netting without bouncing. Out - loss of 5 runs. And you could be caught off any netting. Bowling - it made you very sharp, anything loose got hammered. Ditto batting - anything in the air was a good chance of being caught. All over in <1.5 hours and since it was indoors, no rain or bad light issues. Short and sharp but good players showed through, as did those who could learn and adapt. And great fun. (and a bar!) A long time ago I played a tournament at the indoor Headingley centre (if it's still there) and it sounds very, very similar to all of that. We didn't last long - perhaps only one match.

That's the one we played, yes those rules were broadly the same, except as I say it was one 8 ball over each.

As a bowler, I found it a very frustrating and different game.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP