Cricket Thread

3 lurkers | 104 watchers
19 Aug
9:45am, 19 Aug 2024
21,643 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Interesting that it's less than a normal capacity for a Lord's final. Or is it perhaps that the capacity at Lords is reduced to make space for the entertainment?
19 Aug
12:44pm, 19 Aug 2024
39,498 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Entertainment? The question mark was correctly placed.
19 Aug
12:50pm, 19 Aug 2024
32,060 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
We conveniently missed any "Entertainment" when we went to The Hundred at Trent Bridge. Mid innings break - went to the bar. Between women's and men's game, went to the club shop and visited the food trucks behind the stand.
19 Aug
12:53pm, 19 Aug 2024
24,314 posts
  •  
Dave A
When we’ve been I’ve not bothered by the entertainment and filler bits. Genuinely there for the cricket, as a lot are. It didn’t put me off, it’s just not for me.
19 Aug
1:00pm, 19 Aug 2024
4,907 posts
  •  
phal
The ‘entertainment’ is not aimed at M50/60s though really, is it? Just let it go!

I just blanked it out and I’m an F40. Not my kind of thing either but doesn’t detract from the cricket.

There’s been some fabulous performances from players during the tournament, shame you can’t focus or recognise that rather than just pick about the singers or graphics etc - it’s fired up so many young people to watch cricket and cricket needs that across all formats. It’s given a great profile to young and up and coming players of both genders - the internationals on show in the women’s game have been phenomenal. Mahmood’s been very open about the fact that he was using the platform to get noticed by England selectors for white ball cricket - and it gives a great platform for more players to be noticed.

Bit like Alice Capsey three years ago, I wouldn’t be surprised if it seems more women taken into the development and senior sides and won’t have done any of the blokes much harm either.
19 Aug
1:01pm, 19 Aug 2024
32,061 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
It's been said a lot on here before, but The Hundred isn't aimed at crusty old codgers like the cricket lovers on this thread. It wanted to get a whole new demographic into the game, and it has done just that. I believe all the venues set new attendance records for the women's games this year? My daughter was inspired to take up the game after watching The Hundred on telly last year. And Mrs Nico plays now as well.
19 Aug
1:03pm, 19 Aug 2024
4,908 posts
  •  
phal

😝
19 Aug
1:04pm, 19 Aug 2024
4,909 posts
  •  
phal
Exactly this @Nicholls595

Nicholls595 wrote:It's been said a lot on here before, but The Hundred isn't aimed at crusty old codgers like the cricket lovers on this thread. It wanted to get a whole new demographic into the game, and it has done just that. I believe all the venues set new attendance records for the women's games this year? My daughter was inspired to take up the game after watching The Hundred on telly last year. And Mrs Nico plays now as well.
19 Aug
1:13pm, 19 Aug 2024
32,062 posts
  •  
Nicholls595

I wonder how many of the women and girls who played at the Derbyshire Softball Festival, held on the County Ground last weekend, took up the game after watching The Hundred? These aren't the experienced hard ball players, these are predominantly beginners. Age isn't a barrier either, Mrs Nico is 54 net week and in some games she has had 4 players in the team who are older!
19 Aug
1:21pm, 19 Aug 2024
20,364 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I'm in no way critical of having a well presented 20:20 franchise competition featuring women and men, and I enjoyed the entertainment yesterday as a TV viewer. Plus the cricket was good and having it on BBC will do nothing but good. However:
1. The whole spectacle comes across to me as a middle aged ad man's efforts to copy the IPL on an inadequate budget.
2. The BBC coverage between the games was awful (Curran brothers drawing each other FFS).
3. The combination of Hartley, Tufnell and Vaughn is not to my taste.
4. Are cheap looking on screen graphics supposed to attract a younger audience?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP