Coronavirus discussion thread

136 watchers
Jul 2021
8:52am, 26 Jul 2021
39,318 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hope you feel OK and recover quickly Little Nemo. Imagine if you'd just gone in to work and not isolated and just believed the LFT? I think there must be a lot people being a lot less vigilant and diligent than you - no wonder it's spreading like mad. Take care, :-) G
Jul 2021
9:21am, 26 Jul 2021
21,140 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Here's an interesting thing with regard to masks and pings and the like.

I took the boy to the "Bear Grylls Adventure" in Brum on Saturday. It's (strangely) mostly indoorsy, there weren't that many people, its a big space and there were masks.

However, when you get into the activity areas (we did iFly), then they put 12 of us into a very small room, and no masks were permitted. No phones were permitted either, so they were in a locker room elsewhere in the building.

As it was in a locker, I put tracing off.

I guess that if one of the 12 of us in our iFly session gets a positive test down the line, it'll be up to Serco to use Bear Grylls' data to contact trace us like in a school bubble, but that won't cause other centre users to ping because of tracing off in the lockers?

It's the only "risky" thing I've done in a while, and it was excellent fun, but I'm going to double down on the LFD tests this week just to be sure.
Jul 2021
9:52am, 26 Jul 2021
3,479 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
I have been in four different Scottish cafes this week. Across the quartet, all staff masked. About 95% of customers masked when moving about. Track and trace details taken at two out of four. So, not perfect. But pretty good
Jul 2021
10:25am, 26 Jul 2021
3,309 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Still table service in the three different bars I have ventured into in Torbay so far. Some restaurants have all waiting staff masked, some have a mix. Generally though still a lot of caution which is good
Jul 2021
10:41am, 26 Jul 2021
20,496 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am still seeing high levels of mask compliance, albeit in Scotland its still required.

I have been seeing increasing numbers of exemption lanyards and badges though
Jul 2021
11:07am, 26 Jul 2021
21,901 posts
  •  
Rosehip
In a nice hotel, no requests to wear masks.
Lots of Japanese here all masked up indoors and out, but v few other nguests masked and none of the staff.
I wore mine at reception etc yesterday, but forgot to pick it up when I went for my walk this morning.
Jul 2021
12:40pm, 26 Jul 2021
22 posts
  •  
OVERTHELAST
York Races last Friday, 20,000? Mostly outside but mask wearing was about 0.01%, even on the packed racecourse bus, in the bars (ordering at the bar) and afterwards watching Rick Astley live (dancing, even). The only thing they insisted on was a tie. Felt very 2019. I would guess that the vast majority were double jabbed by the age profile.

Leeds centre on Saturday. Pubs and eateries rammed with largely young people. Saw very little masking in these, or in shops (well, Wilko) and the market. Big protest march by anti-passport people (assume largely unvaxxed), with the protest it all felt very 1980s if anyone remembers "Stop the City"?
Jul 2021
12:44pm, 26 Jul 2021
51,736 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Are the Japanese coming over here on holiday now? I've seen a few about lately, down by the sea, fully masked up and at least 20 feet away from all the other people in only their swimwear.
jda
Jul 2021
1:06pm, 26 Jul 2021
10,551 posts
  •  
jda
Can be hard to tell if Japanese from 20 feet :-) In recent years I’ve seen a marked increase in Chinese/Korean tourists and relatively few Japanese (judging from language, which I can mostly distinguish by sound though not actually understand very much).
Jul 2021
1:07pm, 26 Jul 2021
3,480 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Covid Mobile Testing Team in town today. They're enjoying so well-earned sunshine, as no punters.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.