•  
DrMags
So sad to hear about Gizmo. My condolences, Vixx
1 Apr
9:18am, 1 Apr 2024
2,127 posts
  •  
Vixx
I posted a little eulogy on my mom's FB page as mom and her partner used to write "The Mitten Diaries" with the adventures of Gizmo and Spike, so I thought her friends might like one last story:

"THE LAST MITTEN DIARY: Written by the designated Hooman.

Gizmo asked me to let all of his mommy's friends know that whilst he has had a fun and full life, it was time for him to go over Rainbow Bridge on Friday night.

In cat years he was 84, having turned 17 in human years on St Patrick's Day. He was a Grumpy Old Man but in his last few months went from "Don't touch me" to "Move that bloody laptop and let ME sit there Daddy." He had his own seat next to his daddy with a cushion, a blanket and his own baby hot water bottle. When his daddy had to work, he was looked after by his friend Eileen Jones, for whom we are incredibly grateful for her care and help.

We joked that his demeanour changed that quickly that one of us must be dying (due to seeing a story about a cat in a nursing home that used to sit by or on people that were dying). Now we know it was him. It was mainly old age related stuff - the stuff that adults get: constipation, needing to wee a lot, heart and kidney issues, arthritis, and he was a good age for his grumpiness.

He has had a very full life, with his chasing things curtailed by the arthritis, yet not stopping him banging the windows should anything come into the garden that was not authorised by his good self (birds, other cats). He loved his job of food taster, which he felt the need to practice regularly, and his other position of fur-shedder was also done to high regard, as we will be finding fur furr-ever onwards. His last positions, which he came to late in life were feline alarm clock, where he took on a tone similar to a car alarm going off and lap-stealer, where at any opportunity he would stop his daddy from working and try to push the laptop off his lap to steal the space and have some fuss.

His mommy's funeral was only just over a year ago. We think he stayed to make sure that everyone was OK and now he has gone to join her and Spike. He will be remembered as a Very Good Boy."
1 Apr
9:19am, 1 Apr 2024
2,128 posts
  •  
Vixx
Thank you for all your comments. I really appreciate all of your kindness. I miss him more than I have missed anyone, ever :(
1 Apr
9:24am, 1 Apr 2024
14,541 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
((Vixx)) What a lovely obituary for Gizmo
1 Apr
9:27am, 1 Apr 2024
2,129 posts
  •  
Vixx
Thank you LN (())
1 Apr
9:29am, 1 Apr 2024
53,058 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Aww I have something in my eye
1 Apr
9:32am, 1 Apr 2024
216 posts
  •  
HazelnutCH
That is lovely Vixx
1 Apr
9:35am, 1 Apr 2024
17,798 posts
  •  
Garfield
Very lovely post for Gizmo.x

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!