Bloomin' garmin

5 watchers
Dec 2022
11:28am, 14 Dec 2022
3 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
I have a garmin 910XT which I've had for years and never downloaded the data off it. I think I used it for about a year before quitting all activity for about 6 years. Having returned to running and started using the thing again I thought it would be good to get the data off it and review what I used to be able to do lol.

Not so easy. It started out so well, got myself a shiny new Garmin account, plugged in the Ant device which was still sealed in its little bag, the software loaded and I clicked the add device button, nothing, clicked it again, still nothing.

Since then I have been through every known, and some unknown methods to try and get the flipping thing to connect and get the data off it and nothing. Even downloading the latest Ant+ drivers hasn't worked. I've tried 2 computers, both recognise the Ant+ device, say it is working correctly but nothing sees my watch :(

It's 89% full, and now I've decided I want to see that data I don't want to lose it, any suggestions? Garmin support can't help, they are no flummoxed.

Also, is this a reason (excuse) to buy a new watch which would be compatible with the phone app, cos I have downloaded that too in the hope that my current watch would be compatible - it's not of course
Dec 2022
11:34am, 14 Dec 2022
38,504 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
you need a new watch for sure!
So much easier to press save and hear your phone bleep seconds later saying it's on Garmin then of course Fetch

That's not much help I guess - from memory there was a PC version of connect that wasn't the website that popped up

could simply be the device is too old?
Dec 2022
11:46am, 14 Dec 2022
61,614 posts
  •  
Raptors Claws are coming to town
Is the Garmin paired with the Ant+ stick?

If you plug the Garmin into your computer using the charger cable USB connection you may be able to upload all the individual activities into your training log as FIT files. It'll be laborious, but saves them being lost.

And yes, a new watch! Even the basic models now do bluetooth connection and give you more fancy data than the 910xt.
Dec 2022
11:48am, 14 Dec 2022
11,723 posts
  •  
lammo
Had your laptop recently upgraded itself to windows 11?

If so certain combinations no longer work, i found to my cost
Dec 2022
11:49am, 14 Dec 2022
4 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Thanks EvilPixie, I thought I needed a new watch, I'm surprised Garmin support didn't tell me that lol.

I have the pc version of the connect software (garmin express) it installs automatically when you plug the Ant+ thing in, that all seems fine just my watch doesn't talk to my Ant+ stick, although both are set up and enabled to do that :(
Dec 2022
11:51am, 14 Dec 2022
5 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Is the Garmin paired with the Ant+ stick? If you plug the Garmin into your computer using the charger cable USB connection you may be able to upload all the individual activities into your training log as FIT files. It'll be laborious, but saves them being lost. And yes, a new watch! Even the basic models now do bluetooth connection and give you more fancy data than the 910xt.

No, it won't pair. I have also tried connecting my watch to the computer via the charging cable but it's not seen as a storage device so I can't get the files off it.

New watch is definitely needed! Fingers crossed for the Fetchies Advent calendar thing y
Dec 2022
11:53am, 14 Dec 2022
6 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Had your laptop recently upgraded itself to windows 11? If so certain combinations no longer work, i found to my cost

No, I tried my really old laptop that's Windows 8 and my work one which is windows 10, neither work
Dec 2022
12:15pm, 14 Dec 2022
2,404 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner 🛷
Going from memory, is there a way to go into the watch's settings and tell it to behave as a mass storage device when connected to a PC? If you do that, it will then behave like a usb stick when you connect it to a pc with its cable. You can then get the fit files off manually.
Dec 2022
12:44pm, 14 Dec 2022
7 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Going from memory, is there a way to go into the watch's settings and tell it to behave as a mass storage device when connected to a PC? If you do that, it will then behave like a usb stick when you connect it to a pc with its cable. You can then get the fit files off manually.

Ooh, I don't know, will have a google, thanks
Dec 2022
4:19pm, 14 Dec 2022
8 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Having spent some time onto Garmin support there are only 2 possibilities, either the watch is broken or the Ant stick is, they are sending me a new Ant stick, keep your fingers crossed!

If the watch is duff then I lose all the data and I will cry!

About This Thread

Maintained by Runningbauble21
I have a garmin 910XT which I've had for years and never downloaded the data off it. I think I used it for about a year before quitting all activity for about 6 years. Having returned to running and started using the thing again I thought it would be good to get the data off it and review what I used to be able to do lol.

Not so easy. It started out so well, got myself a shiny new Garmin account, plugged in the Ant device which was still sealed in its little bag, the software loaded a...