BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Sep 2007
1:26pm, 22 Sep 2007
933 posts
  •  
Emmilou - you haven't seen my Yeti AS-R though ;-)
Sep 2007
1:33pm, 22 Sep 2007
21,238 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I must take a picture of my 3 bikes, for the gallery! I love them all... my Dahon foldy, my Giant TCR TT roadbike and my new (2nd hand) Kona Caldera MTB :-)
Sep 2007
11:09am, 24 Sep 2007
97 posts
  •  
About to purchase a hybrid bike today, lighter with more suitable tyres. Routes are mainly tarmac, towpath, and occasional trail. So the most knobbly tyres are not ideal. The hybrid has continental sport tyres which look more orientated to road use. Would these be too slick for gravelly paths?

Decided to weigh my current not-very-expensive mountain bike to find it is only 3 kg heavier. Is saving 3kg going to make a lot of difference? Should I just change the tyres? Should I just stop eating toblerone for breakfast instead?

Have confused the issue now by looking at road bikes too.
Sep 2007
11:13am, 24 Sep 2007
2,332 posts
  •  
would it help to think of having 3 bags of sugar in a rucksack on your back?
Sep 2007
11:39am, 24 Sep 2007
21,349 posts
  •  
Hanneke
3 kgs is a lot of extra weight to carry, but I find the slick roda tyres are what makes most difference in the going of a bike on the road. Those tyres on your new hybrid will be fine for trails, as long as they are not too rocky!
Sep 2007
12:11pm, 24 Sep 2007
984 posts
  •  
Prop Forward
i really should have found this thread before posting my bike related question......if you could help it would be appreciated, although i know i am asking something pretty specific

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=9181&category=chat
Sep 2007
12:29pm, 24 Sep 2007
98 posts
  •  
Thanks for the input. After another look around I think I'm going to go with the hybrid. It is advertised as a 'street' or 'city' bike. If I really need to go more seriously off-road then I can change the tyres and still have a reasonable mountain bike. Is lack of suspension an issue? Forks are listed as 'steel rigid' and there is no mention of seatpost suspension like some others, which are heavier.
Sep 2007
12:47pm, 24 Sep 2007
21,356 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hybrids or citybikes don't have suspension, as it isn't needed on the road. You could consider getting a second set of wheels with slick tyres for your existing MTB if you would still like to be able to go off road???

Or do as I do, have 3 bikes, for the 3 different functions. It is quite hard to get a bike that will do all, you will always be compromising somewhere... But I have friends who have a hard tail MTB with front suspension that will lock and a set of off road wheels and a set of road wheels...
Sep 2007
12:49pm, 24 Sep 2007
2,339 posts
  •  
I asked my boss to consider the 'cycle to work' scheme but he's dismissed it completely:( I got all excited about a Bianchi Hybrid bike, so I'm still on my MTB with slick tyres, but it's soooooo heavyyyyy:(
Sep 2007
1:03pm, 24 Sep 2007
99 posts
  •  
tinylink.com

This is the one I'm looking at. It comes in ladies, race and nexus versions too.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP