Baking thread

1 lurker | 98 watchers
Oct 2012
10:52am, 19 Oct 2012
14,282 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I don't like Christmas cake :( don't like fruit cake and don't like marzipan so it's never going to be a winner with me really.

Last year I made a chocolate Christmas pudding with "snow" on the top.

I think I might try a gingerbread construction a la GBBO nearer Christmas, though it definitely won't be as elaborate as theirs were :-O
Oct 2012
10:53am, 19 Oct 2012
64 posts
  •  
Lemon10
my friend made me a chcolate and orange cake for my birthday last year and put terrys chocolate orange popping candy segments on the top. it was heaven!
Oct 2012
10:53am, 19 Oct 2012
3,603 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
If I get a bloody kitchen fitted I'm thinking of going for gingerbread starts for tree decs (with the kids)

Last year Cedd and grandma made a very good yule log and Cedd ahs said he wants to do the same this time.
Oct 2012
11:01am, 19 Oct 2012
2,217 posts
  •  
Jon_T
I make a mean chocolate and orange cheesecake. Yule logs, I remember making them at school and not managing to get much home on the bus after sharing it with friends.
Oct 2012
11:03am, 19 Oct 2012
22,757 posts
  •  
JenL
Sheri, I also hate Christmas cake, marzipan and royal icing but I enjoy making the Christmas cake and the boys have always liked doing the decoration bit. It's sad in a way that as the children get older the cakes get a bit more tasteful-looking, though ;-) There's something endearing about that "cram as much stuff on top as possible" mentality.
Oct 2012
11:57am, 19 Oct 2012
6,451 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Actually Finsbury Crumble probably doesn't belong on this particular thread: it's a mince beef casserole with a crumble-style topping so while it is baked, it's a savoury not a sweet...
Oct 2012
11:59am, 19 Oct 2012
14,284 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Doesn't have to be sweet, McG, as long as it's baked.....

Anything yummy and baked is welcome.

I make a similar sounding thing with an oaty cheesy crumble topping.
Oct 2012
12:00pm, 19 Oct 2012
6,452 posts
  •  
McGoohan
OK, I'll stick the recipe on later. And the one for apple n pecan cake.
Oct 2012
12:00pm, 19 Oct 2012
10,214 posts
  •  
early bird
I have an organic fruit and veg delivery every week. I have just found out I am getting pomegranates next week. I have never had them before and have no idea wtf to do with them ....HELP!!!!!!
Oct 2012
12:05pm, 19 Oct 2012
22,760 posts
  •  
JenL
EB - you can cut them into quarters and do some complicated thing involving picking individual little seedy bits out with a pin, but really who has the time? You can scoop the flesh out and juice it - it's lovely in various cocktails - and/or make it into a syrup for puddings. Pomegranate tastes lreally good, if rather sweet, but it's also a fiddly nuisance of a thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555