A Good Cup of Coffee

1 lurker | 78 watchers
Jul 2013
1:29pm, 20 Jul 2013
61,970 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Italian coffee is the best :)

Italy is where I learnt to appreciate coffee... didn't think much of it before that! :)
Jul 2013
1:35pm, 20 Jul 2013
26,286 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Right all round, jacdaw ;) It was *sick* till it got, um, sick, and stopped piercing the capsules :(

Agave nectar is allegedly what the Team Sky nutritionalismabolloxist feeds his athletes instead of sugar. I call bullshit on that one. Agave nectar is fructose-heavy and is much more likely than ordinary sugar to give people the squits. I didn't realise this, I just thought it tasted a bit like blood, until I came across it on the "avoid" side of the FODMAPs list for IBS sufferers. So if you're an athlete, it's something that you'd want the opposition to be ladling into their porridge while you stuck with good old maple syrup or a sprinkling of Demerara.
Jul 2013
1:38pm, 20 Jul 2013
10,815 posts
  •  
What The Actual Fleecy
Italian coffee is No Added Bullshit Great Coffee.

Never had agave bollocks, I like plain brown sugar in my coffee. Preferably the posh wonky French cubes.
Jul 2013
1:45pm, 20 Jul 2013
26,288 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
eL Bee! can take his coffee with or without milk and/or sugar. I marvel at this. If it's not black and unsweetened, I'll splutter it straight back into the cup and look for an aspidistra.
Jul 2013
2:11pm, 20 Jul 2013
10,168 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I tend to squeeze it in coffee because it's to hand, but I know that it's not produced naturally like it can be in its homeland. I probably won't buy any more when my current squeezy tube is finished. I also have coconut sugar and 3 types of brown in my cupboard. I prefer coffee sweetened with brown sugar.

I didn't have a coffee this morning 'coz I went straight out on the bike. Is it too late?
Jul 2013
3:29pm, 20 Jul 2013
14,215 posts
  •  
Steady Edina
Only you can answer this question
J*C
Jul 2013
4:15pm, 20 Jul 2013
561 posts
  •  
J*C
I love coffee far too much, infact my DNA is 37%!coffee bean
Jul 2013
5:06pm, 20 Jul 2013
61,973 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I can take coffee with or without milk. I prefer it in difrerent guises at different times of the day :)

I have an interesting conversation abot sugars with an Ozzie doctor the other day at a dinner party... Reason why I get 'gut rot' from energy gels and drinks is the amount of fructose... Intrestingly, the Torq gels and drink do not cause this... Si I looked at the package and they do what the doc suggested: take equal amounts of fructose and sucrose and problem solved :)

I like honey as a natural sweetener but tend to not sweeten things on the whole, I get enough sweet stuff in through the gels and stuff and won't want much more of it off the bike.

I wished they started making savoury gels ;)
Jul 2013
5:34pm, 20 Jul 2013
615 posts
  •  
old mum
I've yet to find a decent coffee in Kirkcaldy that hasn't come out of my kitchen. There's one coffee shop left that I haven't tried yet, so there is some hope, but I'm not holding my breath. Tried to purchase a carry oot on my way to work last week that I knew would be mediocre but at least get me through the afternoon without having to resort to the now mandatory Nescafe. On being told however that I'd have to wait 10 minutes for it because the tender had another order to make up (pointing nonchalantly at a tray with an espresso cup and a mug on it), I asked for a refund and braced myself for what was to come from the work staff room.

I'm definitely going to have to buy a filter machine for work, especially once I start doing full days.
Jul 2013
6:42pm, 20 Jul 2013
61,977 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Sounds like you need your own coffee making facilities indeed!

I have used these when I was unable to make anything else because all I had available was a kettle and a cup and refused to make instant or builders tea like everyone else...

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.