50 different beers in 2024

18 watchers
Jan 2022
12:17am, 31 Jan 2022
5,711 posts
  •  
mr d
Is Old Speckled Hen a new beer? I used to audit the Morland brewery in early 1990s (Abingdon) and Morrels in Oxford no longer around I think. Pretty sure I was drinking old spotted chicken at beer festivals in the late ‘80s, I think. It was definitely being sold in Oxfordshire in the mid-90s.

Think Greene King brew it now, they have a long running strategy of buying breweries , closing them down and then producing their beer.
Jan 2022
2:13am, 31 Jan 2022
24,423 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Drygate is an arm of Williams Bros, in collaboration I think with C&C, who own Tennents (and Magners). Cans available around here in Morrisons, Lidl, and other supermarkets. First came across them in 2014, where they were supplying Bearface Lager (along with Gladeye and Outtaspace Apple Ale, now rarely seen) to Commonwealth Games related locations, like Glasgow Green.
Jan 2022
7:29am, 31 Jan 2022
1,613 posts
  •  
Weean
Old Speckled Hen first brewed in 1979, apparently. It's got its own Wikipedia page! en.wikipedia.org
Jan 2022
7:47am, 31 Jan 2022
1,043 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
4 non-alcoholic beers added to my list over the weekend

Bottled Beers

- Hapkin "Belgian IPA" - 6.7%

- Hertog Jan "Winterbier" - 8.8% amber beer with extra spices

- Gerardus "Winterbier" - 8.5% dark spiced beer from Lidl, actually brouwed by

- Gulpen

- Cornet "Oaked" - 8.5% strong ale brewed with oak chips

- Brussels Beer Project "Dark Sister" - 6.66% Belgian Black IPA

- Kerel "Grapefruit IPA" - 4.2%, light and with some sourness, one of my favourites

- St.Bernardus "Abt 12" - 10%, classic quadrupel abbey beer.

- Trappistes Rochefort 10 - at 11.3% a classic rich quad

- Gulden Draak by Brouwerij van Steenberge - 10.5% Dark red triple

- Uiltje brewing co "piewee the pineapple weizen" - 5% light and fruity

- Gebrouwen door Vrouwen "Gin weizen" - 6% with orange peel, juniper and coriander.

- Moersleutel "Motor oil" - 12% Russian imperial stout, extremely rich and chocolatey, thick enough I think you could stand up a spoon in it.

Non / low alcohol

- Cornet "Oaked Alcoholfrei" - Very similar to the normal version, one of the best non alcoholic beers I've tried

- Leffe "Bruin 0.0" - It's okay, bit too sugary compared to the alcoholic version, but the mouthfeel isn't too bad.

- Erdinger - post run sports drink, cold and wet is about the best you can say for it.

- Benediktiner "Weissbier alkoholfrei" - Better than some non-alcoholics, bit more flavour but still quite sugary.

- Brouwerij De Halve Maan "Brugse SportZot" - A much better alcohol free beer, bit of bitterness to it.

- Bavaria "0.0 IPA" - A fairly decent stab at an IPA, bit sweet, but not bad.

19/50
Jan 2022
8:15am, 31 Jan 2022
2,025 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
Now this is a thread I can get with! All I have to do is see if I can remember what I’ve drunk in Entirely Wet January *goes off to rummage in the recycling*
Jan 2022
9:35am, 31 Jan 2022
33,033 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Old Speckled Hen is not new. It doesn't have to be. The thread is 50 different in 2022. Doesn't mean I won't have it again either if I so fancy.

Different.
Jan 2022
10:32am, 31 Jan 2022
9,252 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Old Speckled Hen was one of the 'brands' that Greene King chose to keep when they took over Morlands. They also took over Ridleys and Hardy and Hanson and only continued brewing one or two popular beers from them (also they brew Ruddles but I think that was already owned by Morlands before it passed to Greene King.)
Jan 2022
10:34am, 31 Jan 2022
27,328 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
The site of the Hardy and Hanson brewery in Kimberley is slowly disappearing under a housing estate :-(
Jan 2022
10:34am, 31 Jan 2022
9,253 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I have possibly been on too many brewery visits to know that level of detail I think! The roof of the brewery used to be the best place to watch the town's annual fireworks display in the nearby park but you got the full brewery tour/talk on the way up to the roof to see the fireworks (and I suspect a pint or two in their on-site pub afterwards as well!)
Jan 2022
4:59pm, 31 Jan 2022
2,860 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Old Speckled Hen is not new. It doesn't have to be. The thread is 50 different in 2022. Doesn't mean I won't have it again either if I so fancy. Different.

Thanks. I read the objective wrongly from the first post.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
and here we are in 2024....

I still really like a pint.

I think this is not too controversial health wise. Lots of beers about these days. I interpret it as different beers within 2023, and you can, if you like; avoid beers you have had before, but as ever the list is yours to do what you like.