1000 miles in 2024

3 lurkers | 54 watchers
Par by the end of today is 364.4
11 May
10:24am, 11 May 2024
22,270 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Sorry Lesley I thought I’d commented on your inconsiderate club runners. This is why so many people don’t join or stay with clubs. If people want to run their egos they shouldn’t be leaders or should do something different. I’m all for supporting t the slowest runner and building confidence

My first club one lady made me know how much they were sacrificing to allow me to run in the group and it put me off for many years before joining striders. I still don’t go to club that often as I’m between pace groups (& I find it an effort to go) I may start going for track sessions as that is a good way to push yourself and not feel you’re left behind.

I hope your beginners do come back.

I did a longer (10m) run yesterday but felt so tired the whole time I kept trundling on and hope it was due to a busy week and lack of sleep on Thursday night.

Well done on all the running - look after that cold Steve!
11 May
11:31am, 11 May 2024
3 posts
  •  
EdGreig
Well done on persevering through those hardships and finishing MrsB!

Thanks everyone for the welcome, enjoy the sunshine and will let you know how Exeter goes tomorrow!
11 May
2:40pm, 11 May 2024
15,090 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done FF for your 3 runs, and for your 5 Steve. I'm sorry to hear that you still have that hacking cough. I suggest that you take it a bit easier until it clears up.

GG, many years ago, my daughter went to her local running club, and they set off for a road run. They left her way behind and didn't wait for her. That put her off running completely, and she hasn't run since. Thankfully though, she walks her 3 dogs daily, so is fairly fit. She's hoping to change jobs soon, and then try running again.

Well done for yesterday's 10 miles. The higher temperature may be a contributory factor for your tiredness.

Best of luck with Exeter tomorrow EdG.

This morning we ran in the Bartley Park parkrun. There was a good turnout of 111 runners, which was slightly higher than usual. Probably the sunshine bringing them out. I was a bit disappointed with my 29.55, as I was aiming for around 28 30. I was 60th and 1st in the 75-80 AG category, and 10thAG.

My new Asics 1000 V11 trainers arrived yesterday, and I intend to do an easy pace road run in them tomorrow.
11 May
4:02pm, 11 May 2024
3,826 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I had a good moan with a friend who also goes to the same club this morning. We both agreed. I am leading next week with one of them. I jumped in saying I was doing the main group rather than the easy group. Don't think he was too pleased with that as he wants to keep everyone together. So I have had to change the plan I had to incorporate an easier hill session. Will see how it goes. My friend only comes to club because I am there and both of us have said we will leave if it carries on this way.

Anyway a hot 13 miles this morning, includes parkrun at easy pace. Stopped for a ice lolly before heading home, it was lovely. It's suddenly gone from cold to hot.

Good luck tomorrow EdG.

That's still a good time HS, have fun with your new shoes tomorrow.

Glad you are feeling better Steve.

Nice running FF.

I would love a time like that Mrs B. Shame about the illness and the bump on the leg. Well done!
11 May
5:54pm, 11 May 2024
6,881 posts
  •  
steve45
You're a hard bloke to please himself hs! That's a fine park run time despite not quite that what you wanted today. Enjoy christening your new ASICS tomorrow.
Splendid long run Lesley, you deserved that lolly!
Enjoy Exeter tomorrow EdG. Hope it goes well.
I wonder about some running clubs and the way they welcome new members. Going way back to the late 1970's when I was a newbie I went along to a running club with a friend. We were largely ignored at the start of the club run , we didn't really know the route but we're left trailing on a dark winter night. My friend never went back, I did and toughed that negative experience out to later enjoy many years with that club. The reason for being left in those days was I suspect that club night was intended as a hard session; in those days clubs were highly competitive, the term "social run" was almost unheard of!

However, sadly, my wife had the same experience with the same club a decade later so things hadn't shifted that much .
11:08am
11:08am, 12 May 2024
15,094 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done Lesley for yesterday mornings hot 13 miles.

The new shoes were good, see below.

Thanks Steve, I know that I am too critical of my parkrun times, but shouldn't be; as my WAVAS are still competitive with younger, faster runners. I gave my new Asics a good christening this morning, see below.

You are right about social runs back in the day, being almost unheard of. The majority of runners were dedicated club runners who didn't "run for fun" It wasn't easy in those days running on the roads, because there were so few of us, and we were subjected to ridicule and abuse. There were no fun runners in fancy dress etc.in races. It was almost 100% club runners.

Apologies for waffling on!

I ran a solo hilly 3.95 miles on roads this morning in my new Asics. I was pleased with them, although they are the same model as my previous 4 pairs Asics 1000 V11. I set off earlier than usual, to avoid the higher temperature.
12:20pm
12:20pm, 12 May 2024
11,776 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Well done all for your great running.
I was out a little earlier than usual this morning too hillstrider but it was still quite warm. 16.6 miles done which was further than I intended as I turned the wrong way at a junction.
5:16pm
5:16pm, 12 May 2024
22,280 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hope you’ve had a great day at Exeter EdG

Great running hs and glad the new shoes are working well.

2 short runs done yesterday and today to round my week up. Had a thoroughly lovely weekend and can’t wait to be back in 11 days.
7:07pm
7:07pm, 12 May 2024
5 posts
  •  
EdGreig
Thanks everyone for your good luck messages!
7:13pm
7:13pm, 12 May 2024
6 posts
  •  
EdGreig
Sorry, premature post there.

♪♫ Synge ♪♫ was right, it was provably too twisty for a PB and with the addition of the heat and the fact that in the first mile we got sent on a 1km detour meant it was a struggle!

Finished in 3.39 but this may get revised down to 3.35 because of the detour!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000