Who Squares Wins!

5 lurkers | 174 watchers
Jun 2020
9:09pm, 18 Jun 2020
9,585 posts
  •  
ITG ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The rules will always disadvantage different players in different ways. I also don't think there should be a formal "minimum" effort or distance and I've said before I don't like the tone of some posts joking/not joking that someone is dishonest.

I look at opponents' training because it helps mw gauge their effort and likelihood of a last minute assault. I might make a decision to go off grid bases on it. But this is FUN; there are NO PRIZES and if you don't trust your opponent to be in good faith, maybe it's not for you. You'll have a new opponent next week anyway.

I personally log all my walks and bike rides, even if they are short and often overlap same squares (e.g. walk downtown and later walk back). My vivoactive logs everything and I like to keep track of calories as much as anything else.
Jun 2020
9:11pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,114 posts
  •  
TheBeardRunner (aka Abul Choudhury
It's just a game ๐Ÿ˜Š
Jun 2020
9:14pm, 18 Jun 2020
9,586 posts
  •  
ITG ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Precisely, Abul
Jun 2020
9:16pm, 18 Jun 2020
18,123 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Run walk for me is proper jeffing - 3 min on 1 min off or whatever. I do actually find it more helpful in tracking my progress to log running as much as i can and then walking till Iโ€™m recovered as separate activities. And WSW makes me run a lot more than I would do otherwise. Have I mentioned I love it? :-)
Jun 2020
9:41pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,369 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Maybe I should take a break. I understand thereโ€™s a badge for it.
Jun 2020
9:42pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,502 posts
  •  
Isabel
So before the detour of emojis, roberton, did you mean it's cheeky to log a run as a walk, or that running out and walking back is cheeky? I was considering doing a little walk back along part of my run route to try and own a multiplayer square but didn't in the end just did my whole run. I more or less exclusively run, which is not ideal for this game, but don't know if I'd need to go out on dedicated walks/cycles, or if I could intentionally walk a bit I'd already run in the same trip? I realise it's all really between me and my conscience, but just wondered what other people do.
Jun 2020
10:00pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,816 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
We're all different Isabel - and we all find our own level in this and all the Fetch games. I don't own a bike and have no opportunity to swim outdoors locally - all my training is done on foot which only occasionally gets me into the top ten and which has never been enough to get past the multiplayer quarters (it was close last time though).

The overwhelming majority of what I log is running but I have found that adding some walking helps from time to time - particularly for the multiplayer. In addition to dedicated walking activities, I have been known to walk 'round the block' as a cooldown following a run just to reinforce a couple of near home squares.

My simple rule is 'if I can justify putting it my training log to myself then it's fine for the game'. As far as I am concerned, the same goes for everybody else.
Jun 2020
10:46pm, 18 Jun 2020
540 posts
  •  
ishep ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
I think Roberton was trying to emphasise the * run * and inadvertently stumbled upon an emoji code, hence he was saying "Logging the _run_ back as a walk might be a great tactic but..."

i don't think there's anything wrong with running a section, starting a new activity, walking a section (possibly the same one backwards) etc, but I agree that actually running and logging it as a walk in order to score an extra point while quickly covering ground is questionable etiquette (especially if it's to fit it in before noon on Monday!)
Jun 2020
10:47pm, 18 Jun 2020
541 posts
  •  
ishep ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
[digressing once more, I think you can do run or run as emphasis options...]
Jun 2020
10:47pm, 18 Jun 2020
542 posts
  •  
ishep ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
[ooh, it worked!]