Who Squares Wins!

1 lurker | 174 watchers
Jun 2020
3:58pm, 15 Jun 2020
12,038 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Congratulations Snail for your win. You caused me a lot of trouble in my ultimately unsuccessful semi final challenge. Well deserved
Jun 2020
4:00pm, 15 Jun 2020
24,202 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hiya Snail, and congratulations on your multiplayer win :-)

The short answer is no, I don't know how many players were registered at the start of each game.

The 1000 minimum was introduced in time for the third game, to allow keen players a better chance of recovering from a run of losses that had put them down below 1000.

We currently have 509 registered players - whereas my fuzzy recollections of the final parts of 2019 was that we had maybe 300-350? So it's definitely getting busier, and it's tempting to go with 256 as a starting point next time.

I introduced a 'last visited' record in the database pre-game 3, to ensure that the folks I was putting into the multiplayer were engaged with the game. So as well as total number of registered players, I can also see how many have engaged recently. Within the last week, 298 players have looked at the game; and 349 within the last month. So a 256 player game would give virtually everyone a chance to join the multiplayer.

That's good in one way, but also removes that achievement of qualifying for it; which is definitely seems to be something that people like to fight to get to.
Jun 2020
4:06pm, 15 Jun 2020
18,083 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I may want to only lose once each week ;-)
Jun 2020
4:24pm, 15 Jun 2020
865 posts
  •  
roberton
Fetch: I like that you have to qualify for the multiplayer. I think the level needed to do so is not too high, while requiring at least a few wins.

It seems like the people on the forum who are most likely not to make it are ones who are new to the game so just haven't had the time to get their ranking up. I could be wrong...
Jun 2020
4:39pm, 15 Jun 2020
47 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
roberton, spot on. I don't mind having to wait until the next multiplayer start in 7(?) weeks time. It makes sure you get to understand and that those that qualify are engaged.
Jun 2020
4:49pm, 15 Jun 2020
82 posts
  •  
Snail
I thought I would filter the feature list for "WSW" as I had a couple of ideas but they were already there. I thought the feature below would be really helpful as I was spending lots of time, either using a split or 2nd screen to route plan and even at times printing the map out. So I was really surprised to see so much "Meh" on this feature. Is there something I am missing as to me it seems an obvious one ( I appreciate resources are limited etc)

FEATURE 563
WSW multiplay; Could the deficits grid view be superimposed on the map as the 1v1 grid is? StuH Feb 8
Jun 2020
4:54pm, 15 Jun 2020
43 posts
  •  
unsliced
After getting my 200 badge last week, I've tweaked my home point and I *think* all the squares are accessible.

Whether my legs and head are up to it (especially with this week's forecast) is another matter ...
Jun 2020
4:57pm, 15 Jun 2020
567 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
hello Fizz I'm off to a losing start yet again :)
Jun 2020
4:58pm, 15 Jun 2020
35,202 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Congrats DocM for last week. And hi ishep for this week. I fear my normal weekly plodding won't be much competition, but I'll keep on keeping on! :-) G
WA
Jun 2020
5:19pm, 15 Jun 2020
7,054 posts
  •  
WA
Operation 200 squares has started with a solid 44 :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw-guide.php