•  
Runningbauble21
I'd eat that, looks yummy 😋
13 Oct
2:05pm, 13 Oct 2024
7,434 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Wish I had an OH that would bake for me!

Parkin for me today. It's that time of year.
13 Oct
2:06pm, 13 Oct 2024
70,328 posts
  •  
LindsD
It really is
19 Oct
1:54pm, 19 Oct 2024
27,753 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I'm on Day 3 of making a sourdough starter. I feel like a mad professor and am enjoying researching the process and exploring the possibilities of what can be made with the "discard".

We moved house in May and the kitchen needs ripping out, which we are saving up for, but the previous owners took the free standing cooker, so we don't have an oven and I've no intention of replacing until we can have one built in when we refurb.
So I'm baking using either air fryer or slow cooker for now. I'm not sure how sourdough bread will cook in either, but that's all part of the scientific experiment :)
19 Oct
1:57pm, 19 Oct 2024
7,467 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Good luck with it GM.
19 Oct
2:02pm, 19 Oct 2024
15,383 posts
  •  
sallykate
Sourdough bread is best started off in a very hot oven, so air fryer is probably the better option. I use a no-discard method. Though I haven't made any for a very long time so would need to make a new starter now I think.
19 Oct
2:26pm, 19 Oct 2024
27,754 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
That's helpful, thanks SK.
Once my starter is established, I'm going to try to dry some to keep for use if the original fails along the way.
19 Oct
3:45pm, 19 Oct 2024
15,384 posts
  •  
sallykate
I have frozen it successfully before now when e.g. going on holiday.
19 Oct
5:26pm, 19 Oct 2024
209 posts
  •  
Joe1970
There's a bit of a tradition in our house that I bake a cake for my sons birthday, to his request. I'm no expert, but if I can make something that looks a bit better than the "terrible but funny" things you see on Bake Off spin-off shows I'm happy. In the old days the requests used to be 'fruit cake' or 'chocolate cake' but it's been ramped up slightly as as he gets older. This years conversation went something like:

Me: what sort of cake would you like for your 18th birthday?
Son: a green hexagon
Me: er...okay...
Me, on his birthday this week: I present to you, a green hexagon!

Son, a maths student, getting out his ruler to measure the sides: It's not a hexagon, the shortest side is 0.9cm less than the longest side
Me: **** off...

I feel I met the brief. It was green, it was more or less a hexagon, and it tasted okay :)

19 Oct
5:35pm, 19 Oct 2024
5,390 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Wow, that is definitely green! I agree that the brief was well and truly fulfilled.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555