Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

1 lurker | 59 watchers
Aug 2022
12:13pm, 16 Aug 2022
2,368 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Why it is winter in August. Winter is not usually in August and August is not usually in winter.
Aug 2022
2:31pm, 16 Aug 2022
14,317 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Why people get dermal fillers - particularly in their 20s and 30s, what would possess you to put all that cr@p in your face?

What has gone wrong with the world that we think this is an acceptable use of our time and money?
Aug 2022
3:38pm, 16 Aug 2022
2,371 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I don't understand what a dermal filler is.
Aug 2022
5:15pm, 16 Aug 2022
16,847 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
E-On Next.

They've be absolutely hounding me for months, if not years, to get a so-called Smart Meter fitted (despite me telling them many times I have no interest in this).

So today, they sent me a text again asking me to book a Smart Meter appointment. So I clicked it, hoping to be able to tell them to go forth and multiply. Only to be brought to a web page advising me that I wasn't eligible for such an appointment for reasons I just don't care about...

Just... why?
Sep 2022
4:06pm, 4 Sep 2022
40,177 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Just heard a radio advert Kevin bacon advertising the Internet thing where you can get your phone to boil your kettle

Jeez how much effort does it take

Why
Sep 2022
3:23pm, 5 Sep 2022
18,856 posts
  •  
larkim
When you get a letter from an organisation like a Building Society or a society etc asking you to vote in their AGM or similar and the letter contains "Security code part 1" and "Security code part 2" in the box below, how does printing the codes next to each other increase security?
Sep 2022
4:53pm, 5 Sep 2022
21,893 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Good one, larkim.

Maybe it allows them to demand a 20 place security code without the task of entering it correctly becomes totally beyond likely success.
Sep 2022
12:31pm, 12 Sep 2022
72,700 posts
  •  
Diogenes
The road tax (sic) for Mrs D's car is £0, for mine it is £165. I believe these rates are based on emissions, both are diesel vehicles. However, if we drive into the ULEZ zone, Mrs D's car incurs a cost whereas mine doesn't. For a while I didn't understand this but, in typing this, I have deduced that mine is probably allowed because it has an AdBlue tank.

What I don't understand now is why my tax is more than the other? It's all a bit random, isn't it?
Sep 2022
3:47pm, 12 Sep 2022
15,575 posts
  •  
Badger
Because particulates & NOx are a bigger deal in city centres than more rural areas because of population density, maybe? (AdBlue doesn't affect particulates but a diesel which has it will also have a particulate filter in the exhaust).
Sep 2022
3:51pm, 12 Sep 2022
18,946 posts
  •  
larkim
Snowdonia Marathon includes the following rule:
No aids, such as skate rolling shoes, baby launchers, line blades, Nordic sticks, bicycles or other non-official wheeled vehicles are allowed on the course.

What is a baby launcher, and how does it make you run a marathon faster?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?