The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Dec 2021
8:34am, 8 Dec 2021
4,265 posts
  •  
Kieren
WW, most cobblers should do it. Vibram have a resole service at their stores but cost is about £40.

I did find a UK store lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk that offers the service but haven't used them.

I was tempted to have a go on an old pair with glue, a craft knife and a weight to hold it to cure. I could find vibram mega grip for about £10 from US / Italian stores but postage pumps up the price. I cant find anything cheap in the UK.
Dec 2021
8:38am, 8 Dec 2021
4,266 posts
  •  
Kieren
I also agree with Grumpy - the midsole tends to fail long before the outsole on my road shoes.

For trail shoes, I find it tempting to prolong the life but that's another tangent
Dec 2021
9:02am, 8 Dec 2021
75,280 posts
  •  
Gobi
I have no desire to wear shoes that are that worn, I'm about to bin my blue training pair but maybe I should offer them to anyone who like to really use a shoe as they look new compared to those pictures
Dec 2021
9:02am, 8 Dec 2021
2,923 posts
  •  
Oranj
I also wear out that bit of the sole first and have extended the life of my Hokas with 2mm or 3mm rubber sheet cut to size and some shoegoo. It doesn't last too long though - about 150km.

Dec 2021
9:21am, 8 Dec 2021
1,289 posts
  •  
Big_G
I have had to send my AFs back as well, sadly. I just felt that the arch of my left foot was rubbing. I tried different thickness socks, but couldn't get it to feel right and I know I would have a concern in a marathon. I don't have that issue with the VFs, so something odd for me there, although right foot felt fine. Shame as I really liked them other than that, but they need to go back.
Dec 2021
9:53am, 8 Dec 2021
5,304 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
thanks Kieren / MrG, I'm interested in creating a pair of VF trail shoes. I loved those flyknits so much that I ran them to destruction and it was just too late. Next time.

Oranj - my Hokas tend to be kinda OK on the soles but I generally split the upper just above. I've fixed that this time around with early application of ShooGoo. Thanks for the tip. (different story but I have otherwise knackered the Clifton 8 completely in my continued attempts to reduce the height of the heel cup - there's a lot of hard / sharp plastic underneath I have learned).
Dec 2021
9:57am, 8 Dec 2021
75,282 posts
  •  
Gobi
This isnthe pair I'm about to bin

Both shoes have gone in the same place. I'm not a heavy heal striker and land quite flat but I supported so destroy outside edges of shoes.

Of course these are perfect for another 1000miles looking ag what some of you do :-)

Probably let them see the year out
Dec 2021
9:58am, 8 Dec 2021
75,283 posts
  •  
Gobi
Supponate- ffs
Dec 2021
10:06am, 8 Dec 2021
36,103 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I use Shoe Goo on the Zoom Flys is there an option on the 4% plus ?
Dec 2021
10:11am, 8 Dec 2021
75,285 posts
  •  
Gobi
I voted bin :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org