Sunday 13th October 2024 The Daily Thread

4 watchers
13 Oct
3:12pm, 13 Oct 2024
20,340 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
It was great thank you! A season best (in fact my quickest since 2017) and enough to secure a gold club standard for the first time :)
13 Oct
3:17pm, 13 Oct 2024
330 posts
  •  
tinebeest
Yay!! Nice when you have a good race -- congrats on getting the gold club standard!!
13 Oct
3:25pm, 13 Oct 2024
399 posts
  •  
alehouse
Great news, @Autumnleaves !

And well done on the 20, @tinebeest ! Bodes well!
13 Oct
4:08pm, 13 Oct 2024
71,425 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Well done on the 20, @tinebeest :)
13 Oct
5:00pm, 13 Oct 2024
389 posts
  •  
HazelnutCH
Nice pic from yesterday @PeterFay

Well raced @Autumnleaves !

Good work on the 20m @tinebeest .
13 Oct
5:03pm, 13 Oct 2024
6,851 posts
  •  
lin50
Afternoon everyone,

Lyrics : Yes

What : 5 mile run/walk this morning and yoga later
Why : Sunday Social run

Last hard : parkrun
Last rest/non running day : Friday
13 Oct
5:33pm, 13 Oct 2024
4,654 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
@tinebeest fab running twenty miles today!
@Autumnleaves What a great result well done.

What: An hour running
Why: Because I could
Last hard: Achilles
Lyrics : Yes

A much better run today less stiffness and pain!
13 Oct
5:56pm, 13 Oct 2024
112 posts
  •  
ElspethF
Hazel, noone ended up in what looked like a raging torrent by time dance was over!
Hope all doing fine and that your patient is soon feeling better. Velociraptor.
Nice training folks.
Excellent ceilidh last night with a little group of 6 if us from the hostel so all dances were dances and a tired group hobbled down the track under a big bright moon.

Long drive today as went up scenic west coast route with snow sprinkled hills for a walk on durness beach and just now on the north coast beach near dunnet. Waiting patiently for boat home and hoping not so rocky as on Friday. Two tired runners.
13 Oct
6:26pm, 13 Oct 2024
96 posts
  •  
Dustin
Hiya
Decent long runs Hazel & Tine plus solid mileage banked elsewhere.

Autumn - whoop whoop with the gold standard!
What - 1h50 road / trail mix (just over 12 miles), then an afternoon at Highclere Castle of Downton Abbey fame.

Why - LSR & afternoon treat (plus it's less than half hour away)
last rest - 14/09
last hard - even with the easy pace, this morning I was working a bit
lyric - oh yes, great song
13 Oct
7:32pm, 13 Oct 2024
10,900 posts
  •  
PeterFay
Coigach Half Marathon 2024

As many of you will be aware, I was just a bit apprehensive prior to this as I had not participated in a half marathon since 2019 and only upped my distance to 12 miles again 9 days before the event.
Although by most people's reckoning, Achiltibuie is in the far north of Scotland, it still took us over 5h driving down, with stops, after we got off the ferry at Gills Bay on Friday morning.

Weather forecast had been at best mixed: cool with sun and showers.

We got to our pod accomodation shortly before 4pm. The pod was just shy of half a mile off the road with a narrow footbridgeon route. An amazing view straight from the door. Having sought out the wood burning stove in the main hostel, we chatted with David who was also up for the run. We then walked nearly 2 miles back along the road for a pre-arranged meal at the Summer Isles Hotel. As we started walking, it started raining and we were pretty wet by the time we got to the hotel. Again an open fire was welcome.

So pleasantly fuelled, we walked back along the road and path to the pod for a comfortable night's sleep, getting in before it started to rain again.

The start was not until 1pm. The day broke bright and sunny with spectacular views with a touch of snow on some hills. However the sun was not to last as heavy rain came after registering at the community hall. The weather was now forecast to deteriote at 3pm with a gale force northerly wind. We had planned a loosening walk to start line (about a mile), however due to the continuing heavy rain, accepted a minibus lift to start line, dressed in shorts, t-shirt, merino and waterproofs. The wait was ameliorated by some blether from the race starter and the arrival of 3 pipers.

My ambitions were not lofty, just to complete the course before the 3h cut-off. My game plan was to try to maintain a 10-12minute mile pace and to get to top of big hill, at 7 miles, by 1½h.

The course was a “lollipop” out through the long village then onto a loop. The loop includes 3 significant hills with last rising to 95m straight from near sea level.

Piping complete then 3-2-1 and we were off.

The sun had come out and weather was quite pleasant for first 6 miles.
Residual niggles in my left leg, after 12 miler 9 days earlier, seemed ok perhaps in part due to paracetamol.

First part of course was gently downhill and Imy initial pace was 8mm but settling down to an average pace of 10m20 for first mile at which point Elspeth passed me as I settled in at the back of the pack.

Managed a similar pace before the next 2 miles before I slowed up to 13mm on first hill. Hit 4 mile marker at 45m. Sped up going down the hill then slowed up again up next hill. Around 5 to 6 miles I was passed by 2 runners in turn. I suspected but didn’t know for sure that I was now the last runner.

At 6 miles a solitary female piper encouraged us on our way from their garden.

Dropping right down to sea level again we turned right to start the big hill. In common with quite a few others, I walked the steep part of this. The next runner ahead was still about 200m ahead.
It was at this point the (head) wind started to significantly pick up although the sun was still shining.
I passed the 7 mile marker at 1h25 in. Another 200m or so and I was over the brow of the hill.
The sky darkened and it was into a strong head wind. Having been running in just T-shirt, I hastily redonned long sleeve merino then waterproof, the latter albeit not without difficulty - It would not have been good news to lose waterproof to the wind at that point.
The 2 runners ahead were still just visible but now pulling ahead. It was now grey and raining quite heavily. Despite the head wind I still managed to keep up, for me, a reasonable pace.
I plodded on through the next few lonely miles, there was no “silver lining” in the sky but as I turned the loop the wind was now on my back giving me a bit of a push.
The coastguard van, today on marshalling duties was keeping a close eye on me. I was reassured by their presence but endeavoured to maintain a cheerful countenance being aware that if I showed any sign of not coping, they might “pull” me. I was still however on schedule to get in before the 3h cut-off.
Picked up an expensive water soft flask that someone had dropped.
Eventually I got to outskirts of Achiltibuie where I was greeted by a marshall with a trayful of goodies. The coastguards concerns seemed to lessen at this point. There was now less than 2 miles to go with a steady gentle climb back through the ribbon village. Despite now “running” at walking pace, 12 mile marker passed with 35 minutes to spare, so I knew I was good to clear the 3h cut off.
It was at this point I saw a familiar figure in a purple jacket coming down to meet me. Elspeth was similarly soaked to skin but had come down to see me in before getting herself sorted.
At the end of the slow uphill for the thirteenth mile the route turns left up a steep track to pass the 13 mile mark. I walked this; Els wisely decided that I was now safely home and headed in search of warmth and nourishment. The 2 pipers had remained until the end, arguably beyond the call of duty, to pipe me onto the playing field for the final loop. I shuffled around with a half hearted attempt to run to the finish line.
2h44m30 and a medal around my neck.
Last in and a PW, however delighted to complete first Half in 5 years.

Complete change, hot soup, tea, sandwiches and cake, an impressive spread even for the tail ender. Then back to pod for shower + R&R.

By prior arrangement we had arranged to car share back for ceilidh at 7:30pm but ended up with 6 so did a double trip and a happy 6th man.

New bright orange t-shirt complimented my kilt.
I managed all but one dance and that was only due to lack of a partner.
Promised “Hot food” at ceilidh consisted of hot dogs which was slightly disappointing but ceilidh was otherwise excellent with 3 piece live band “Bottle Island”.

However not unhappy to see Auld Lang Syne at 11pm.

Elspeth drove home.

Pleased to say there were no casualties negotiating the path and footbridge by torchlight.

About This Thread

Maintained by alehouse
Each day someone sets some song lyrics, often on a particular theme, eg colours, numbers, running, etc. Others then say whether they know the song or not, but DO NOT say what the song is: the answer is revealed the next day.

Current theme: COLOURS

Contributors then say
What their training will be
Why they are doing it

Some also say
Last hard
Last rest

Plus of course general comments about the weather, other people’s training or races…illness or injuries!

Feel free to join us and why not set some lyrics once you get the hang of the thread?

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,264 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here