So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

1 lurker | 80 watchers
Mar 2018
10:45am, 21 Mar 2018
12,429 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm not happy with the ideas of records being erased, but when the records are Flo Jo's, Marita Koch's, Kratochvilova's, Wang Junxia (3000m), all known dopers then what else do you do?

I don't want Paula's record erased, I want it beaten legitimately in a race. If then several people go past it in quick succession, my qualms over Paula's record are dampened.
SPR
Mar 2018
11:09am, 21 Mar 2018
25,713 posts
  •  
SPR
If there's proper evidence of doping, then scrub the individual record. If not, then it's BS.
Mar 2018
11:10am, 21 Mar 2018
12,430 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The problem is what is proper evidence? Koch, Kratochvilova and Flo Jo didn't test positive when setting their records...
Mar 2018
11:36am, 21 Mar 2018
4,199 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm a bit more sympathetic to Paula wanting to hang on to her record and being a bit protective of it. After all, it is her only really lasting mark of "status" without the gold medals she craved.

I wonder whether what we're hearing in her reticence also is perhaps some of the doping suspicion in her head. Now that does diminish her in my view, as that is no more than standard forum troll accusations of doping based on rumour etc UNLESS because of her priviliged position within the IAAF she is aware of something unpublicised that we are not party to.
Mar 2018
12:57pm, 21 Mar 2018
12,707 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thing is though only Keitany and maybe Dibaba (T) are currently showing any likelihood of being able to get near Paula's record, so its not going to be beaten by loads of people. We have also seen some speedy women at half and full falling foul of doping (Jeptoo, Sumgong and also was there a quick half marathoner recently or was that a steeplechaser - I cant remember. Actually Jebet, steeplechaser) so there are 2 or 3 quick half marathoners that maybe could threaten also.

But I agree, paula remains a huge outlier which for some is enough to be suspicious although I would be astonished if she was found to be a doper. I know our letsrun chums don't share that view though !
Mar 2018
1:02pm, 21 Mar 2018
12,432 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Always liked Paula, a little sanctimonius at times, but her front running losses in the 10ks up til then were always totally gutsy and painful to watch, unlike Mo or Froome, she was ALWAYS obviously hugely talented, and it felt like vindication when it did go right.

Actually talking of outliers, hers is not so far out as Koch's, Kratochvilova's or Flo Jo's. Keitany has a chance of beating them. No-one has a chance of beating the former 3.
Mar 2018
1:16pm, 21 Mar 2018
18,037 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Bolt. He is an outlier.
Mar 2018
1:18pm, 21 Mar 2018
4,201 posts
  •  
larkim
Given the women's HM record has come down by nearly a minute since Paula held it, and that 1:04:52 correlates to a 2:15 time you'd have to say it should be coming soon, especially as women are reputed to have better endurance. Women's distance racing is becoming stronger and deeper so I'm sure it will go in the next 5-10 years at the latest.
Mar 2018
1:33pm, 21 Mar 2018
12,433 posts
  •  
Chrisull
He is indeed. And given the other Jamaican sprinters have all failed doping tests, you'd be a fool not to wonder. But really, if Bolt is cheating we might as well throw in the towel now, because he is the hope, that it is possible to be clean and to outgun the Justin Gatlins, Tyson Gays, Asafa Powell's of this world and remain a charming gent throughout. And as it says his world record is not as much of an outlier as Paula's. And Paula's an outlier I'm guessing because no-one else has come close, because of the nature of the marathon (why break a WR, when you can just win the race in 5 minutes more time), rather no-one has tried to take the WR.
Mar 2018
1:38pm, 21 Mar 2018
4,202 posts
  •  
larkim
Agreed about the throwing in the towel.

And given how much money there would be to be made even today by a whistle-blower with first hand accounts of Bolt not being clean, I take comfort from the fact that his career remains untained apart from the fact that he was very, very fast!! (And even that broadly correlates with his speed as a junior, so its entirely reasonable to see his as a perfectly natural progression).

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.