So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

1 lurker | 80 watchers
Mar 2018
1:42pm, 21 Mar 2018
12,434 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Bolt breaks the natural thinking that you can't be very tall and fast, so he's already doing something a little bit different to the rest anyway. Apparently there is no physiological reason why you can't be super tall and fast, BUT the tendency is for runners not to be so tall and the longer the distance, the shorter the champ. There are links somewhere to this.
SPR
Mar 2018
1:58pm, 21 Mar 2018
25,714 posts
  •  
SPR
It's not you can't be tall and fast, you can and have advantages at top speed. The issue is accelerating at the start. It was generally accepted that tall sprinters couldn't hold positions and turnover needed to accelerate.

This even if partly true, probably led to some who could, not even being given the opportunity by coaches. Bolt only got into 100m after running well in one at the end of the season and been allowed to continue to race them the next season.
Mar 2018
3:23pm, 21 Mar 2018
15,124 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
As I've said before, the proto-Bolt already existed. His name was Tommie Smith.

There is a lot of imperative for the IAAF to ensure that Bolt remains 'clean'. If Bolt were found guilty of doping it would kill Athletics overnight and possibly for good. He is the commercial money driver for the sport (Farah second). Not saying he has or hasn't doped, but given how dubious the ethics of that sport's administration have been over the years, there's no way they'd kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
Mar 2018
3:27pm, 21 Mar 2018
4,203 posts
  •  
larkim
Is Farah really second, or is that just a UK perspective?

I appreciate there is some conspiracy angles to the IAAF "needing" to keep Bolt clean, but I think that is more borne out of the Armstrong world, and I don't *think* Bolt brings the same sort of characteristics to the table.
Mar 2018
3:52pm, 21 Mar 2018
15,125 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Actually, quite plausibly Gatlin second as the Giant Haystacks to Big Daddy. Given how soap opera that all got, I chose my metaphor carefully.
Mar 2018
5:40pm, 21 Mar 2018
25,425 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’ve never thought of Bolt as a doper but rather a genetic freak. As the tea lad says if he ever got caught even retrospectively it’d be game over. In my view he has more value than the rest of track and field, plus the whole of cycling as things are. Farrah is tainted; tarnished too much to be worth anything sadly
Mar 2018
8:08pm, 21 Mar 2018
12,708 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Was thinking while running tonight and based on no evidence at all I wouldnt be surprised if some of these recently quick female HM runners are found to be dopers.
Mar 2018
9:48pm, 21 Mar 2018
4,204 posts
  •  
larkim
That wouldn't surprise me either, but I'm sticking to my guns with treating them as clean until proven otherwise.
Mar 2018
9:54pm, 21 Mar 2018
12,710 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Which is only fair and how it should be. Says he who cast doubt.
Apr 2018
8:59pm, 13 Apr 2018
12,532 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The Salazar storm continues to rumble on:

bostonglobe.com

And back to last years NY Times report... it reads so much like Team Sky doesn't it? No out and out doping, but pushing over into grey areas constantly and occasionally breaking the rules when non-banned substances in certain circumstances are adminstered in a banned way, but hey I'm sure it's all ok right?

nytimes.com

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.