So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

3 lurkers | 80 watchers
Mar 2018
4:31pm, 19 Mar 2018
12,409 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Libel laws on their own mean nothing. I'd agree that, it could be "legitimately" used for defamation of character. Didn't Paula allegedly have a super injunction when one of her blood tests was showing as way off the chart? Means nothing on its own, Cadel Evans used to headbutt or slap journalists instead, athletes get touchy about what is written about them.
Mar 2018
4:54pm, 19 Mar 2018
4,189 posts
  •  
larkim
She did *allegedly*. Though in fact she never did, that was just another LetsRun rumour I think. See news.sky.com for a categoric denial of a superinjunction.

Given that a court has not made any findings in that Farah scenario (settled out of court, so no court involvement) all we can say is that, on balance, the journalist (or his lawyers) felt that it was an expensive risk to take trying to defend their statements in court and that it was cheaper overall for them to pay out rather than follow the judicial process.
Mar 2018
12:32pm, 20 Mar 2018
4,192 posts
  •  
larkim
Actually, re-reading the details its fairly clear what the libel was. Bloom wrote "the IAAF highlight[ed] him as a 'likely doper'". And then he said "that's what they called him - a 'likely doper'".

Both of which statements are completely verifiably false and defamatory. The IAAF never said that. They did flag one of his blood results with the tag "likely doping", but that's not the same as your governing body calling you a "likely doper". I can see why he sued in this case, and actually there's no way on earth Bloom would have successfully defended this in court because the IAAF never said it.
Mar 2018
1:28pm, 20 Mar 2018
12,419 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah Bloom was silly there and I can see why Mo went for him. The IAAF acknowledged that a later test, or the levels in that test were fine too?

Unlike Paula's which were never satisfactorily explained away, although enough wiggle room with her lingers as the only two red flags for doping were those blood markers and her stupendously unbeatable, which on their own are not enough to indicate doping. She spent a lot of time in the public view, and didn't have a track record of using dopers as "facilitators", or going to Ethiopia to train, or missing drugs tests. I hope, for her sake, her record is beaten soon, and by several runners and then everyone can say, well perhaps it wasn't quite as unbeatable as we thought.
SPR
Mar 2018
7:20pm, 20 Mar 2018
25,702 posts
  •  
SPR
Chris - You hope for your sake surely or your peace of mind? Paula is happy that she competed clean and given what I've heard from her in commentary, she doesn't want her record beaten.
Mar 2018
7:22pm, 20 Mar 2018
12,705 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I lost some of my respect in her reaction to the threat on her record. Most Wr holders are happy to see their mark beaten. Paula clearly wants it forever
SPR
Mar 2018
7:45pm, 20 Mar 2018
25,703 posts
  •  
SPR
With smarter racing, Keitany would have beaten it (or got close) by now. Think she's been close to that shape for about 6 years. London this year will be interesting
Mar 2018
10:15am, 21 Mar 2018
15,123 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
It was a bit off for Paula to suggest that some historic records could go because they were clearly set on the use of substances while conveniently ignoring that 2:15:25 is the biggest statistical outlier on the book. Doesn't mean it was dirty or clean, but by the methodology she was proposing, that one should have been first to be written out of existence...
Mar 2018
10:26am, 21 Mar 2018
12,428 posts
  •  
Chrisull
SPR - what Teaboy said :-). Yeah for my peace of mind. I feel like it shouldn't be such a statistical outlier, and yes if Keitany races smarter, it's hers.
SPR
Mar 2018
10:36am, 21 Mar 2018
25,711 posts
  •  
SPR
Seb Coe suggested it, I'd have to look back but I think Paula said she'd accept it for the good of the sport. She definitely knew her record would be affected.

I disagreed with it btw.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.