So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

1 lurker | 80 watchers
Apr 2018
10:17am, 30 Apr 2018
12,583 posts
  •  
Chrisull
And the TUE storm just ratched up a notch... Some may not think this important /relevant (I'm looking at you larks), but I think this is. Pity original article is in Dutch. Lieuwe Westra, Astana on using TUEs:

"“Every successful rider makes sure he gets a TUE before classics and other big races”

“Almost every rider of my generation works towards peaks like this”

twitter.com
Apr 2018
10:25am, 30 Apr 2018
4,578 posts
  •  
larkim
It's also nonsense based on the volume of TUEs that are actually obtained and registered. It's factually the case that there are very few TUEs issued each year (I think I posted the numbers earlier on this thread).

Not saying it might not have been a part of the Astana set up in the past (oh, a whiter than white team there...), but the facts tend to disprove the comment, no?
Apr 2018
8:30pm, 30 Apr 2018
25,717 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Guilty
May 2018
8:17pm, 7 May 2018
13,039 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
theguardian.com

Is Froome now about to question the validity of the test as he hasnt been able to explain the levels it found ?
May 2018
8:33pm, 7 May 2018
4,685 posts
  •  
larkim
Most interesting bit is the recalibration of the result down to 1429ng/ml which seems a very specific number for a journalist to have just invented.
May 2018
11:01pm, 25 May 2018
18,665 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Froome did well today. Just saying.
May 2018
11:11pm, 25 May 2018
25,902 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Oh the drugs don’t work. They only make things worse . . .
May 2018
11:27pm, 25 May 2018
12,789 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Apparently everyone's times today were *rubbish* compared to previous years on those climbs, according to the stats guru I follow, and Froome wasn't even fastest up several of the climbs (Carapaz was on the last one for example).

I think today we witnessed the lack of a Contador or Nibali or Quintana to offer up some proper competition. Pinot, has always been an also ran, Yates ran out of gas (which his showboating on week 2 suggested he might unfortunately), and Dumoulin has never liked the mountains, and without his team support struggled to keep the gap. He wasted a minute or so waiting for Reichenbach (from Pinot's team) on the descent which is where Froome loads of his time and like it or not, isn't drugs related.

Sky had the best team, Froome is the most experienced and astute rider there unquestionably. I have big doubts about Froome, but there wasn't much today to support wrongdoing. It's like Liverpool beating Rochdale 10-0 and accusing them of doping. You're gonna need more than that. If you want to point the finger, the Ventoux stage against Quintana was the one. Today was actually par for the course. An Eddy Merckx like trouncing of somewhat average opposition.

Of course Froome failed the salbutamol test, and probably shouldn't be competing even... but that they say is another story....
Jun 2018
9:41pm, 2 Jun 2018
25,948 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
theguardian.com
Jun 2018
10:29pm, 2 Jun 2018
4,917 posts
  •  
larkim
Can't believe the Aden thing has taken so long to get to anything formal.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.