So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

1 lurker | 80 watchers
Mar 2018
9:02am, 6 Mar 2018
17,880 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
What a rotten sport, almost as bad as running.
Mar 2018
9:16am, 6 Mar 2018
25,258 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m a amazed EPO use in distance running is only really just coming to light. Athletics is years behind and there must have been some huge cover-ups
Mar 2018
9:26am, 6 Mar 2018
15,100 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
The same pattern of drug use/blood doping was definitely followed in pretty much all the major endurance sports - including swimming and X-country skiing.

EPO used indiscriminately until the 50% limit came in. Then microdosing EPO until the test became more reliable followed by a switch to blood doping through the mid 2000s. Obviously backed up with the old HGH and Testosterone and Corticosteroid cocktails.

Ma's army was totally on EPO. I'm sure Ross Tucker has done plots of world best 10000m times (and average of world best times from a year) against year and shown the step changes that occur when a change in drug law occurs and how it takes a couple of years for the field to adapt.
Mar 2018
9:56am, 6 Mar 2018
12,324 posts
  •  
Chrisull
DT - I think you're referencing the Guardian editorial here, the 82kg to 72kg.

I'm going to actually swing slightly towards larks here. In 2012 Wiggins did not ride the Olympics track. When he came back in 2016 to the track he announced he had to put weight on for the track, as that's what works better.

So bearing in mind that, the Olympics where he was 82kg was 2008 , and the TDF "breakthru" was 2009. So he would have put weight on specifically for the track, and then after that he had 10-11 months to shed 10kg for the TDF. It's a big ask for anyone, BUT not necessarily a crooked one - bulk up for the track, slim down for the grand tour, especially when that would have been the aim.

Unfortunately my next separate post will swing away (but not to do with Wiggins).
Mar 2018
10:00am, 6 Mar 2018
37,916 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of athletes being able to periodise their body weight to meet the needs of training and competition, and believe that it CAN be done without pharmacological assistance. Even us hobbyists, without chefs and nutritionists and drugs, often drop noticeable amounts of weight between the start of a marathon training programme and race day.
Mar 2018
10:05am, 6 Mar 2018
12,325 posts
  •  
Chrisull
So the British track team in cycling, all those golds in 2008, 2012. This one passed me by, that 2008, Hayles served a two week ban after failing a blood test. in 2008

theguardian.com

So he failed a blood test for his haemocrit being above 50%. Now without going into the details, but this is basically an EPO test. The "natural haemocrit in the high 40s" can be true for many riders. The test is flawed for this very reason and that's why the bio passport was introduced. Read Matt Rendell's the death of Marco Pantani for a real deep dig into EPO testing in the early days and it's shortfalls. amazon.co.uk

HOWEVER , despite the waffle and blah from Brailsford at the time, make no mistake, the most likely reason for failing that haemocrit was EPO. And clean blood tests before then don't change a thing, as we know now the favoured "micro dosage" use after the haemocrit test, which means it can be through your system in short amount of time.

People been saying "when the big one comes it will blow British cycling apart", but no, because it has been happening, happening again and again (Hayles had 13 world and olympics medals), Wiggins use of triamcinolone, and Froome's amazing combatting of bilharzia a disease that in its chronic condition floors everybody else. Without starting on Tiernan Locke and plenty of other less notables. There's just been no smoking gun to blow us out of our complacency that's all.
Mar 2018
10:12am, 6 Mar 2018
25,259 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Complacency? ;)
Mar 2018
10:15am, 6 Mar 2018
12,327 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Not "us" here, I mean the public in general.
Mar 2018
10:51am, 6 Mar 2018
15,101 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Don't forget all of the stuff on Mo, Paula's blood values and Lizzie's missed tests.
Mar 2018
10:52am, 6 Mar 2018
15,102 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
And Ohorougu's

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.