•  
SailorSteve
Nope
Mar 2018
4:18pm, 5 Mar 2018
4,074 posts
  •  
larkim
Whilst I hold MPs in probably a higher degree of respect than many others do, I'm not sure I have much faith in them to draw accurate conclusions any more than posters on Fetch (myself included!). Their evidence base is the public stuff we saw at the hearings, so they really have very little to base their views on beyond what we all saw. And they need to be seen to be holding up moral / ethical standards.

Beyond them drawing a conclusion (without substantive evidence it seems to me) that Wiggins used Triamcinolone not for medical needs but for performance advantage only, I'm not really seeing them draw any fascinating conclusions from the evidence they received.
Mar 2018
4:33pm, 5 Mar 2018
37,908 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I can't get my head round why the triamcinolone TUE wasn't requested on the pretext of using it for a joint or soft tissue injection, which would have been a totally credible conventional use of this drug. Cyclists get shoulder, elbow and wrist problems a lot due to the nature of the sport.
Mar 2018
4:46pm, 5 Mar 2018
4,076 posts
  •  
larkim
Might that be because it was being prescribed to address breathing issues (as they've always claimed?) There is a world out there in which Wiggins and Sky are telling the truth you know!
Mar 2018
6:05pm, 5 Mar 2018
12,323 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Nah - they had their chance. Total transparency. Zero tolerance. You live by your word, you die by it. They didn't have to say those things, they chose to and so they shall be measured by them.

I remember the original Festina scandal. Six teams dropped out. Not one rider was indicted over the incident. Pantani went on to win the "cleanest tour" in years.

independent.co.uk

We have been here before.
Mar 2018
7:23pm, 5 Mar 2018
37,909 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
No, there is no situation in which a doctor practising even an approximation of evidence-based medicine (and we have extensive guidelines on asthma management) would inject triamcinolone to treat "breathing issues" of any sort nowadays. It's been several decades since a depot injection of triamcinolone was considered an acceptable way of treating hay fever, though when I started in my job in the early 1990s I had the occasional patient pestering for it because they'd had it in the past off some old duffer.
Mar 2018
7:39pm, 5 Mar 2018
37,910 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
(On the other hand, the medical establishment also doesn't seem to have cottoned on to the potential for triamcinolone to be used as a slimming jab.)
Mar 2018
8:10pm, 5 Mar 2018
25,247 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Was I the only one who was shocked how scrawny ‘Sir Bradley’ became prior to his TdF victory. Mind living on bread and water plus training really hard probably explains things

Verdict: guilty as sin of cheating and arguably worse even more guilty of hypocrisy
Mar 2018
8:17pm, 5 Mar 2018
25,248 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
‘Rip it all up. I was happier when we were sh1t’ sums it up nicely for me. Sky jerseys always looked a bit too much like Man Utd’s to me anyway
Mar 2018
8:31pm, 5 Mar 2018
12,617 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
DT, I think you are right on the hypocrisy point, but on the cheating I suspect that technically he didnt cheat but really did push the boundaries to allow him to cheat.

The whole thing stinks, as does the Froome thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.